Ethernet/IP Broadcast Messages

redviper

Hi All,

I am implementing a new AB Control System and running into a few issues.

I have (1) 10-slot and (2) 17-slot CLX racks, all connected via Control Net.

I have a 1756-EN2T module in the first rack.

I also have a remote rack, with a 1756-DHRIO and a 1756-ENBT module.

The Ethernet modules are all connected together on one network. There are quite a few different devices all on this Ethernet Network.

After setting this up for FAT testing everything appeared normal to me.

I recently was contacted by the IT department, informing me that the ENBT module is sending broadcast messages to all devices on the network, essentially bringing it down and crashing some of the other devices.

I am a little stumped on this. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kyle

Multicast traffic on Ethernet/IP maybe? Ask them to enable IGMP snooping and have a querier on the network and that might clear things up.

I recently was contacted by the IT department, informing me that the ENBT module is sending broadcast messages to all devices on the network, essentially bringing it down and crashing some of the other devices.

Yup, that is what Ethernet/IP does.
You need an Ethernet switch with IGMT snooping.
Search this forum for brand recommendations and get ready for sticker shock.

Steve.

Depending on the version of logix you are using you can setup the devices to use Unicast also. But i would still suggest a managed switch also.

In addition the Automation network should not be on the corporate network. This is a very bad practice. Seperate the networks and use a router to pass only the needed information across the networks.

After speaking with the IT group, they seem to know exactly what to do with the switch.

We have 7-8 IP/Serial converters on the networkl as well a host HMI (Cygnet) system. I guess the IP/Serial converters were locking up due to the amount of traffic.

That should clear it all up, thanks again.

K

A Cygnet user ! Very mysterious and exotic.

There was a query on the Forum from a guy in BC the other day about Cygnet's feature set with regard to ControlLogix tags. Maybe you can answer his question since you're using both.