Logix 5000 I/O question

icehube

I am working on a trainer for testing i/o. Is there a way to turn on all the inputs and outputs with using a single command rather than put all the outputs on a rung or inputs? just wondering if there was a shortcut.

The Output word of a ControlLogix module is always a DINT datatype, so you can write a value directly to that tag.

Try a MOV of the value 65535 to the Local:Slot:O.Data tag for a 16-point module.

Well, your inputs are read from your I/O module so they will reflect the status of your field devices.

But, on the output side, move (MOV) a -1 to the data word. Such as Local:2:O.Data

OG

Guess Ken typed faster than me. Either value will work.

Should be able to go to your control tags and use the force mask column. Find your local input or output card in your control tags and expand the data column under that card. Enter a 1 in force mask box that you wish to turn on. When you want to turn off delete the 1 because if you put a zero in the box you force it off.

Worked great testing outputs, inputs show all on is there a way to read the registered value of an input card?

Worked great testing outputs, inputs show all on is there a way to read the registered value of an input card?

Please explain "read the registered value" .....

When you insert an I/O module into the I/O Configuration, you automatically create the tags in the Controller Tag Database.

For an input module in the same chassis as the controller (eg. slot 5), these tags will be

Local:5:I (input and status data from the module to the controller)
Local:5:C (Configuration data from the controller to the module)

Inside the Local:5:I tag (click the + symbol to the left of the tag in the database), you will see the .Data element. This DINT portion of the tag contains your input data being read by the Input module. You can certainly "look at" the input data as a whole word value, or you can expand the view (+ symbol again), to look at the individual bits.

The .Data element of the I tag contains 32 bits, and a 32-bit input module will use all of them, while a 16-bit module only populates bits 0 to 15. Obviously the bit numbers correspond to the input channel numbers, bit 0 is channel 0 etc.

If inputs show "all on", what is connected to them to turn them on...?

I think maybe you have forces putting these inputs on.

What is the Force Status indication in the Online Toolbar saying ?

This is just to test the i/o i did just as Ken and Operaghost said and it worked great. The outputs fire all my lights and if i go into my data table Local:5:I and expand it, it certainly shows all "on". But i was just wondering if there was another command to indeed show the total value of the inputs so that i didnt have to look at the tag value....if that makes any sense...lol

Last edited:
Same values as output cards.....

With all inputs ON

16-bit module - .Data will be 65535 (or 2#0000_0000_0000_0000_1111_1111_1111_1111 in binary)
32-bit module - .Data will be -1 (or 2#1111_1111_1111_1111_1111_1111_1111_1111 in binary)

Any other value will indicate an input channel not working (you can EQU or NEQ to test these values - also you will need to test that all inputs go OFF when you disconnect the RTB (removable terminal block) on the front of the module)

Hope that helps....

Last edited:
Also bear in mind that the default "view" of the .Data DINT is as a decimal number.

You can (temporarily) change the "view" to a Binary display on the "Monitor Tags" tab, by choosing Binary in the "Style" column. This setting will revert back to the default decimal style if you close and re-open the tag database.