Low cost data collection???

arrowpilot

At this point I would classify this need in the "quick and dirty" category.....
I have been asked about doing some machine level data collection to track faults and associated downtime- providing a file or printout as the end result, daily, weekly, etc. In some cases I have the luxury of multiple A-B processors and Panelviews on DH+ and RIO. But there are also numerous cases where the machine is controlled by some type of proprietary control package where I have no access to the programming. In this case I would need to utilize real world I/O to be able to record specific conditions.
Long story short...as this would be limited in budget, what would be some of your ideas on collecting and collating understandable data in the last example (24V I/O signifying machine conditions)? Maybe a small PLC networked to a computer or HMI? SCADA package or simple database? No such thing as cheap on the custom machines, so stick with the accessible A-B info??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Mike

Down and dirty run a multi-cond cable to a machine that has spare inputs with an ab proc.thats already on the network.

Little more money throw in like a micrologix and get it on the network to collect the data.

Not sure how cheap or permanant this needs to be!!

Drewcrew6

You can use DDE to collect data from the PLC's to excel spreadsheets, access etc, right from RSLinx.

Some say DDE is no more legal, pls find out more before you consider

If you are doing it this type of job on the 'cheap and dirty', I wouldn't add any more I/O at all.
If your machines are interlocked, Just use the interlock to say 'This was the machine that was down'. If you are doing it quick and dirty, set up your system to be expandable and then add stuff as you require.
I have had a system like this work before, quick and dirty, and we goth there by slow evolution.
First we put in a minimal system. Then we added stuff on demand, as people got used to it, then we deleted stuff that was never used or was redundant, or triggered falsly. Suprisingly, a lot of the original stuff went this way, so much for a minimal system....
\
Doug

Cheap HMI

I recently did a complete factory, by just adding AB's Net-ENIs (Ethernet to RS232 Modules). This solution worked out great. Ran Ethernet from all the machines back to the cutomers Computer Room where we tied them in to a cheap router upon which we were able to draw out information to there existing server that we enabled IIS server functionality. We walked the customer through building some web pages linking the data from the multiple ENIs to a common web page, allowing the entire Business network to see all the data that was available. The customer built some spread sheets with Excell bringing in the data that they wanted from their intranet and set it up to automaticly print when they wanted it. The project was only about $500 per Processor and a little for cableing. The Router we used was an 8 port Linksys, for about $150.00. The server we used was an existing and we only used about 12Megs of additional space (primarily to hold the web pages that were created).

As far as adding the additional I/O, I would recomend adding a Micro 1000 or 1500 to bring the info in. Then you can add it to the network and you are off and running.

I have done this data collection in two ways. I have added a 1500 and ENI to each machines and networked them and I have also installed one 1500 with multiple input cards and an ENI to collect data from a number of machines. I am getting ready to install a 1500 with ENI and 8 input cards at our other plant as the starter.
I use the ouputs (24VDC) from the OEM PLC as the inputs to my PLC and program as needed. Logging is done with RSView32
What I don't like about one PLC for a number of machines is that there is are no outputs on the machine for lights , horns or boxing glove to alert the operator, but it comes down to cost at the begining.

Bob

Thanks for all the tips and hints gang. I can see this evolving real simply- and where I need to add it will probably be the MicroLogix family. The NET-ENI thing to tie together the loose ends sounds like a possibility. But, first things first, need to sell the boss on the idea first...then we expand!!
Thx again,
Mike

ENI vs ENIW

Yes the ENI is cheaper by $150 or so, but the ENIW has the built in Web server. They both work great, it is just you do not need any additional software to build a full system with the ENIW.