RSLogix 5000 Trend

ebolbol

Hello :unsure:,

I work in a Gas Transmission plant running all ControlLogix 5000's with Panel View 1000's w/ Factory Talk View Studio ME series. They're used to control pretty much everything around here. From time to time, there is a need to monitor multiple parameters at the same time, so I go into RSLogix 5000 and setup a trend and then export it as *.CSV for charting after trend is stopped.

RSLogix 5000 is limited to only 8 tags per trend and nothing more. Besides it is very hard to graph the collected data because no program understands .TBS other than logix itself, so I have to do *.CVS and its a true pain. May be I'm dreaming, but I could have swore a long time ago I used a program to chart more than 8 tags and I can't remember what it was, again, maybe I'm confused :confused:...

Would any of you gentlemen or ladies know of a way, or program, A-B or third party, that can chart unlimited tags at once and also be able to graph and chart easily?

Thx & Best regards,

Ed

Your SCADA system should be able to handle that. I'm betting you have one there.

chart unlimited tags ??
But putting more then 8 pens on a signal chart would get pretty hard to read.

If you are at the plant I think your at, call Bill Page.

Last edited:
What version of ME are the PV+s using? Also how many tags do you need to trend? You could do it inside of the PV+s using TN 35155 - DataStorePlus ActiveX Control for View Machine Edition

You bet right :) & yes I know Bill Page. I know how to configure the SCADA to do trends, but it's not the same and [besides] the lagged refresh rates...., it's a very permanent way of doing something quick I want to do on the run. I don't always need to look at the same tags and most of the time I want to study the behavior of the equipment starting. Reason I have asked this questions is because I vaguely remember using a charting program that could read .TBS files... again I may be dreaming but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it 5 yrs ago.

PV ME Versions???

We are using 5.0

Yeah, someone has actually mentioned that to me before... I have played with it a little but nothing substantial. Again, it seem like a very permanent solution to something quick and dirty. If my memory serves me right, (which, most of the time it doesn't) I had a program that looked very similar to the trend within RSLogix and talked factory via rslinx and was able to tap the tag database for setting up pens. After the trend, the file was easily plot-able in the same program... am I going nuts? :unsure:

What version of ME are the PV+s using? Also how many tags do you need to trend? You could do it inside of the PV+s using TN 35155 - DataStorePlus ActiveX Control for View Machine Edition

There was (is) a product called RSTrend. I think it's old and not supported anymore. Someone who knows more about it can correct me.

chart unlimited tags RSLogix??

This is just how bad my memory is... I dug around a bit and very vague slivers of what I did came back... through emails and notes and a little playing around in View, I think there is a way you can create a Data log model with as many tags as you want, drop the component into run and the next time you go into Runtime it will generate a file of some sort... then you use a program called RS View Enterprise File Viewer to plot the data... where did I get the program? :confused: all I can remember clearly (which means nothing) is I had a chart in front of me with more tags than 8 (5 yrs ago) I recall having major problems and doing those trends helped immensly... I gathered this all through my email archives and some notes I had saved... amnesia from there on :confused:

There was (is) a product called RSTrend. I think it's old and not supported anymore. Someone who knows more about it can correct me.

This?

33924 - RSView Enterprise File Viewer Utility

Access Level: Everyone
Date Created: 01/04/2006 12:00 AM
Last Updated: 05/10/2011 10:04 AM

How do I read and save ME, SE Datalog files, ME Alarm Log files, RecipePlus files and dBASE files with the RSView Enterprise File Viewer Utility?
Note: With this Viewer, once the log file is open the file can be saved as a CSV file. You can only access the following files if they are closed, as a result you must stop a running RSView ME application or RSView SE Datalog in order to be able to access the file.
This utility is used on Win32 (desktop) only. To read ME files from PanelView Plus CE or PanelView Plus terminals, copy the files to a compact flash card and move them to the desktop where the utility resides. These log files are in a non-standard format.
The RSView Enterprise File Viewer utility can be used to read and save the following files:
  • SE Datalog file (*.DAT, *.OBF)
  • ME Datalog file (*.LOG)
  • ME Alarm Log file (HISTORY.ALM)
  • dBASE file (*.DBF)
  • ME RecipePlus file (*.RPP)
The SE Datalog files, ME Datalog files, RecipePlus files and ME Alarm Log file can be saved as CSV or DBF files.

This?

:eek:!!!

yes! that looks like it...(y)! Wonder where you would get this?

This?

33924 - RSView Enterprise File Viewer Utility

Access Level: Everyone
Date Created: 01/04/2006 12:00 AM
Last Updated: 05/10/2011 10:04 AM

How do I read and save ME, SE Datalog files, ME Alarm Log files, RecipePlus files and dBASE files with the RSView Enterprise File Viewer Utility?
Note: With this Viewer, once the log file is open the file can be saved as a CSV file. You can only access the following files if they are closed, as a result you must stop a running RSView ME application or RSView SE Datalog in order to be able to access the file.
This utility is used on Win32 (desktop) only. To read ME files from PanelView Plus CE or PanelView Plus terminals, copy the files to a compact flash card and move them to the desktop where the utility resides. These log files are in a non-standard format.

The RSView Enterprise File Viewer utility can be used to read and save the following files:
  • SE Datalog file (*.DAT, *.OBF)
  • ME Datalog file (*.LOG)
  • ME Alarm Log file (HISTORY.ALM)
  • dBASE file (*.DBF)
  • ME RecipePlus file (*.RPP)
The SE Datalog files, ME Datalog files, RecipePlus files and ME Alarm Log file can be saved as CSV or DBF files.

This is a RA technote. Its accessable to everyone. Are you planning on using the PV+ or something else?

Are you planning on using the PV+ or something else?

Thank you for all the prompt responses. As far as putting this to work, well, first I have to do a lot of refreshing, can't remember what I did. But yes, that's all we have here is PV1000 Plus's running the latest firmware. If I go on line with an offline project and go into Runtime mode I may be able to generate the file... something else that just came back to me is, in addition to the ME we also have a big screen with a dedicated PC running SE. I may have gone in there and used the log data model in that since it's always in Runtime being that it's a supervisory machine... forgive my confusion :confused: but there is a way... I don't know if any of this makes sense

This is a RA technote. Its accessable to everyone. Are you planning on using the PV+ or something else?

Trending more tags than just 8

jkerekes,

Thank for all the prompt replies and also the program. Well, I finally figured out what I did 5 yrs ago. In a nutshell, yes it is doable. I guess you either need Factory Talk ME or SE. In my case, I did it on the SE. Haven't tried it on the ME. Basically, you create a data log model and pull in all the tags you need. Specify where you want the files saved, You name the model as a component and dump it into startup components. You can either force a manual start or it will launch automatically the next time it is in runtime. Log as long as you like, manually stop the log. Use RSView Enterprise File Viewer Utility to view or plot the data. Pretty handy... is this what you had suggested in your earlier posts... I wonder?

Thank you for all the prompt responses. As far as putting this to work, well, first I have to do a lot of refreshing, can't remember what I did. But yes, that's all we have here is PV1000 Plus's running the latest firmware. If I go on line with an offline project and go into Runtime mode I may be able to generate the file... something else that just came back to me is, in addition to the ME we also have a big screen with a dedicated PC running SE. I may have gone in there and used the log data model in that since it's always in Runtime being that it's a supervisory machine... forgive my confusion :confused: but there is a way... I don't know if any of this makes sense

Yes, the datalogs are much easier to use when running on a computer vs. PV+. Also SE has more flexibility in configuration. You can also log it to a SQL database for even more control with more options. I glad you got it working!

Thanks buddy... (y)

Yes, the datalogs are much easier to use when running on a computer vs. PV+. Also SE has more flexibility in configuration. You can also log it to a SQL database for even more control with more options. I glad you got it working!