CDM question

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have just recently started checking out all the "bell's and whistle's" with the RSLogix 500 and would like to know what a couple items on the menu tree are for. First is the "CDM", what is it used for and could you please give an example. Also are the "Custom Graphical Monitors" and "recipe monitors". As before, what they are used for and an example. I'm going to search for info online but a lot of times you folks are much easier to learn from than Rockwell Software Books. Thanks much.

the Custom Data Monitor is a handy tool that let's you build your own data table - that can contain different types of data ... in other words, you can "customize" it to "monitor" a lot of different types of "data" – rather than having to navigate from integer tables - to input tables - to output tables – etc.

you can drag-and-drop addresses onto the table – or just type them in ... if you type in something that is not a valid address, it just becomes a "note" ...

you can right-click on the CDM "folder" icon and make more of them ... one for the Tank, one for the Conveyor, etc. ...

you can change the radix display from decimal to binary, etc.

note: this is one of the things you missed when your boss insisted that you leave the class early on Friday afternoon ... I normally don't cover it until the very last – so that the students don't use it as a "crutch" and neglect their data table navigation skills ...

as for the other features you mentioned: they're probably grayed-out on your software ... that means your boss didn't spring for enough money to buy the "Professional" version of RSLogix ... you won't miss these particular tools ...

CDM.JPG

Last edited:
more along the same lines ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=8243&postcount=1

one of my favorite uses for the CDM was to make up a separate one for each piece of machinery - and fill it with just the data that normally had to be monitored while troubleshooting ... that way less-experienced technicians didn't need to know how to navigate and track down the signals that they most often needed ... just teach them how to click the appropriate CDM and then read the notes - and see the data ...

What do you mean? A remote device can just look at the data table points you want it to look at.

If because of the "cheap boss syndrome" you don't have the recipe monitor but use indirect table values as recipe storage you can have indirect items in the CDM. Enter one item as the indexing value and, voila, a recipe monitor.

Let's say you use N20, S21 and F23 as recipe values indexed by n7:20. So recipe 'x' would have 'x' in N7:20

Just enter

N20:[N7:20]
S21:[N7:20]
F23:[N7:20] as values for that recipe. Along with

N7:20 as your index. Into the CDM. Then just change N7:20 and watch the other values change to their recipe values.

I have used the CDM for a couple of months and I love it! It makes troubleshooting (as Ron pointed out) very simple, especially since the problems I have with a particular machine seems to repeat itself and this is such a quick way to confirm it.
I still am trying to learn to use the CGM and have not figured that out yet. Anyone that wouldn't mind explaining how and why to use it, I would sure appreciate it. Thank you.

The recipe monitor is specifically designed to show the value of indexed items. The index itself will be entered in the lower right. In each line you place the base address of each recipe element.

In our case we use a separate file for each element. The recipe number is the index into each file. You can even have strings. We use them as the name of each recipe. You have to watch out though, they eat up data space pretty quickly.

The CDM of course can show non-indexed items but, with a little work, will show indexed items also.