Controllogix program mode

keithb

Hi

Does anyone know why, when I switch my controllogix 5555 processor to program mode it takes about 10 seconds before the run LED goes out. This has not always been the case, it has recently started happening. If I try downloading whilst in remote run mode, I get the following error:

"The controller acknowledged the request for a transition to remote program mode, but it has not completed the transition . . ."

The second attempt is always successful as the transition to remote program mode has completed by this time.

The CPU is 1756-L55/M12. Two 13 slot chassis communicating on ControlNet.

Thanks in advance

I've seen this before, too ! In my case it was back in Version 6 and the problem was MSG instructions that were firing off into the ether and not completing (the controller wasn't connected to the network). Logix evidently considers these to be connections it needs to break manually instead of just abandoning to fate, and it takes the time to let them time-out.

When I began putting manual time-out routines on my messages (1 second, since they were all on a local ControlNet), the controller didn't take so long to transition.

Yep, that was it!
I had an MSG reading from another controller via ethernet which is no longer on the network. I disabled the MSG and it transitions instantly to program mode when I turn the key switch.

Thanks

Reviving a zombie here, hoping maybe Eddie still checks this forum to see if he can upload an example of his timeout logic. I'm trying to come up with some myself and having some issues.

If anyone else has an example of timeout logic that can be used with MSG instructions in Logix5000 I'd appreciate it. I need something that will be able to detect if a MSG instruction has failed (because remote node is off, etc.) and then disable the instruction for a set amount of time before trying again in case the device has been turned back on.

Here's an example of my error retry's for messages. If the message has an error status the timer waits for ten seconds and resets the rung so that it will try again. It will keep trying until it goes through.

Capture.jpg

You can also change the settings in the MSG instruction to time out after a couple of seconds rather than 30. I guess that they have it as 30 seconds by default in case you're using serial radio's or some other very slow method of data transfer, but in 99% of my applications (generally ethernet), if I haven't gotten a response in the first 0.5 seconds, I'm not going to get one in the next 29.5 seconds. So I make it time out after 2 seconds and then I don't have the "acknowledged the request for a transition to remote program mode" issue. I don't really care if it's firing off unanswered messages every two seconds, doesn't cause any problems and I'll know straight away when the comms comes back up.