Siemens S5 Communications

KLaird

I have been given the task of monitoring an old Siemens S5-100U that is operating a critical peice of equipment. We are in the process of upgrading this equipment, but until that occurs I need to attempt pulling live data off of the PLC for data logging. I have been able to communicate with the PLC and pull off the existing program. I can see which data bits I would like monitor on the code. Does anyone know if you can, or how to monitor or collect data live?

Thanks in advance.

I have been given the task of monitoring an old Siemens S5-100U that is operating a critical peice of equipment. We are in the process of upgrading this equipment, but until that occurs I need to attempt pulling live data off of the PLC for data logging. I have been able to communicate with the PLC and pull off the existing program. I can see which data bits I would like monitor on the code. Does anyone know if you can, or how to monitor or collect data live?

Thanks in advance.

That means that you've already got a working cable.
Google for OPC + AS511.

Kalle

Yes I do have the "fancy" Siemens cable and DOS based software. (I got them off of EBAY for about $60 total) They seem to work good so far. I am currently using Red Lion G3's for interfacing, but I am not impressed with the data acquisition capabilities. I am probably going to look into National Instruments for faster data logging, etc. However, if I can use the Red Lion to talk to the S5 then I will leave it in place.

Hi!
The programming interface and the AS511 protocol has very limited capabilities. The speed is max 9600 b/s, and 3-5 packets / sec. You can only access one data area per telegram, so it is wise to pack the com-data in one or few DBs. Can't help you with RedLion - unknown for me.

Kalle

Hi!
The programming interface and the AS511 protocol has very limited capabilities. The speed is max 9600 b/s, and 3-5 packets / sec. You can only access one data area per telegram, so it is wise to pack the com-data in one or few DBs. Can't help you with RedLion - unknown for me.

Kalle

Thanks for the info. I am curious though, what have you used to communicate live with the S5? I have a spare S5 I would really like to set up a test with to see if it is even worth while implementing on the factory floor. I guess I could use Hyperterminal/Telnet on my PC...that might be overly complicated...

Thanks for the info. I am curious though, what have you used to communicate live with the S5? I have a spare S5 I would really like to set up a test with to see if it is even worth while implementing on the factory floor. I guess I could use Hyperterminal/Telnet on my PC...that might be overly complicated...

This is old gear, so I wouldn't spend much time on it just for fun. I've hardly ever used 100U with communications, except maybe the OP396. And as far as I can recall, it was possible to connect the Sinec L1 (the grandmother of Profibus) to it. The 95U had the same IO-system, had much more power, RS232 comm. possibilities and was far more popular. I myself have mostly used the bigger 115/135 and 155U with serial, Profibus FDL or Ethernet comms.

The hyperterminal will not bring you any data via the unbelievably nasty 511-protocol. It has sw-handshakes and narrow timing parameters and is secret to Siemens and is never published.

Maybe IGSS (SCADA from www.7t.dk) still supports the AS511 protocol. They have got a downsized "Free 50" -version in case you want to check.

Kalle

Edit: Ops! I forgot that PI has got an AS511-TCPIP completely magical box that allow you to use S7 protocol on the HMI. If you later convert your S5 PLC program to S7 and keep the DB-numbers, it should be possible to leave the SCADA addressing unchanged.
Link: http://www.process-informatik.de/produkte/s5-lan

Last edited: