Programming languages

dploof23

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to learn other programming languages than ladder logic. I know ladder quite well and I have a machine that is written in structured text,(I think), and it is jibberish to me.

Thanks,

Dave

if you're talking about RSLogix5000 then you probably have the logical "first step" resource already loaded on your computer ...

from the RSLogix5000 main menu click Help > Online Books > Programming ...

then click the link for the Local PDF for Common Procedures Programming Manual ...

finally click the link for Programming Structured Text ...

(note that the sequence above might be different depending on your version of the software) ...

if you can find it, the booklet I've recommended should be about 38 pages long – and will give you the basic syntax and constructions that you'll need to get started ... I recommend this as a logical "first step" ... and if the structured text that you're dealing with isn't TOO convoluted, then this might well be all of the information that you'll need ...

good luck with your project ...

The implementation of structured text will vary from one vendor to another. Your best bet to understand a specific application will be the manual for your particular brand.

Pearse-Bertram is the Omron distributor in our neck of the woods. Their applications guy is Jim Higley. He should be able to identify which manuals you should be looking at.

Last edited:
I primarily use Mitsubishi, but I also service AB, and Omron. The Omron is the one I am having a hard time deciphering.

if you're talking about RSLogix5000 then you probably have the logical "first step" resource already loaded on your computer ...

from the RSLogix5000 main menu click Help > Online Books > Programming ...

then click the link for the Local PDF for Common Procedures Programming Manual ...

finally click the link for Programming Structured Text ...

(note that the sequence above might be different depending on your version of the software) ...

if you can find it, the booklet I've recommended should be about 38 pages long – and will give you the basic syntax and constructions that you'll need to get started ... I recommend this as a logical "first step" ... and if the structured text that you're dealing with isn't TOO convoluted, then this might well be all of the information that you'll need ...

good luck with your project ...

I don't use RS logix5000. On the AB stuff we have we still use RS Logix500. The Omron program I am trying to understand is what is giving me the trouble.

The implementation of structured text will vary from one vendor to another. Your best bet to understand a specific application will be the manual for your particular brand.

Pearse-Bertram is the Omron distributor in our neck of the woods. Their applications guy is Jim Higley. He should be able to identify which manuals you should be looking at.

Thanks Steve, I will have to give him a call.

-Dave