code 16#0317 Connection Request Error:Connection not scheduled

Booze

I'm trying to set up a produced and consumed tag between a 1769-l23e-QBFC1 "producer "and a 1756-L61 "consumer" I have a produce tag created and configured the IO and downloaded the projects to both plc's ,everything shows that that things are communicating fine and the IO is happy as soon as i create a consumed tag and download the project I get a code 16#0317 error in the 1769E-QBFC1 module in the 1756-L61 project. I've set up a controlnet produce and consumed tag with no problems this is over ethernet/IP I've also used Rsnetworx for ethernet/ip uploaded the network config and then enabled edits and downloaded the config I'm using version RSlogix v.17

RsNetWorx for Ethernet/IP is unnecessary. EtherNet/IP is an unscheduled network so it does not need to be scheduled like ControlNet does.

Can you post a copy of both programs (Compact & CLX) so we can take a look at it? You can remove the logic if there is anything proprietary. It's the setup of the I/O config that matters here.

OG

That error code is usually associated with ControlNet, as it indicates a Connection is not scheduled.

Posting the two projects would be ideal.

If you can't describe the tag type (atomic, array, UDT ?) and verify that it's identical on both sides. Just being the same size doesn't do it; the tags must be of identical data type and of course you have to get the tag name precisely correct on the Consumer side.

I suspect that you may have two "paths" in your IO Config, and when you use the dropdown in your Consumer configuration, to select the producer, the software picks up the ControlNet path, not the EtherNet path.

Perhaps the only way round this is to delete, or break, the ControlNet path, create the Consumed tag, then put your ControlNet config back again.

These are the programs without the logic cant seem to get the consumer program small enough to upload

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is the Consumer program that is important.

In it you specify the producer.....

To get the size of the consumer program down - Use "save as", and choose L5K file type, then zip that and post it

Last edited:
OK, that explains it.

You can't create an I/O connection or Produced/Consumed Tag connection with more than one network link in between the controller and the device.

What you have is a ControlLogix with a ControlNet I/O system, with a 1756-ENBT in a remote ControlNet chassis. From that remote 1756-ENBT, you've created a Produced/Consumed connection over EtherNet/IP to the remote CompactLogix controller.

If the 1756-ENBT were in the chassis with the ControlLogix, this would work. Because it's located across a ControlNet link, it won't.

I've had a handful of users make this assumption and it always leads to a "show me where it says I can't do that" discussion. Unfortunately RSLogix 5000 doesn't analyze the I/O connection schema and alert you that you've created an unworkable configuration.

And even worse.... it will work, sometimes. The reasons are a little obscure; it involves connection buffers and resource allocations.

There are two workarounds: put the 1756-ENBT into the local chassis with the ControlLogix, or switch to using MSG instructions instead of Produced/Consumed Tags.

Many years ago, i was driving myself insane at a customer site trying to get a similar configuration to work with Producer/Consumer. Had to change the config. to all ethernet.

Originally posted by Ken Roach:

I've had a handful of users make this assumption and it always leads to a "show me where it says I can't do that" discussion. Unfortunately RSLogix 5000 doesn't analyze the I/O connection schema and alert you that you've created an unworkable configuration.

Although I've never tried this I would have been one of the people saying "show me". I thought that one of the big "selling points" of the whole CIP-over-[every conceiveable network] thing was that you would be able to do just this type of thing.

Keith