Conversion Allen Bradley to Siemens Program

jamalshahid

Hello Friends,

Sir Ron is going to post program for me as i was unable to post. Please help me in this. I have to make program in step 7 by following allen bradley plc. In Siemens I have to use these modules and processor. Thanks
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 321-1EL00-0AA0 [/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]120VAC 32-POINT INPUT[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 322-1FL00-0AA0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]120VAC 32-POINT OUTPUT[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 331-7KF02-0AB0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]8-CH ANALOG INPUT[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 331-7PF01-0AB0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]8-CH RTD INPUT[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 321-1FF01-2AA0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]120VAC 8-POINT INPUT[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 322-1FF01-0AA0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]120VAC 8-POINT OUTPUT[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]S7315-2DP[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]S7300 SERIES CPU PROCESSOR[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 392-1AJ00-0AA0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]20-PIN FRONT CONNECTORS[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]6ES7 392-1AM00-0AA0[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]40-PIN FRONT CONNECTORS[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]​

Greetings to all ...

I talked with Jamal by phone this afternoon (and incidentally, he talks REALLY fast) ... he's a nice guy who graduated from college with no experience in PLCs (that's not the first time we've heard that story) ... now he's been hired by a small systems integrator – and given a project to do all on his own ... here's the way I understand the project ... (please correct me if I'm wrong, Jamal) ...

a machine was built using an Allen-Bradley MicroLogix 1500 and shipped to Europe ... a copy of the program is attached below ... the program was written by someone unknown to Jamal ... as far as we know the machine works OK ...

a new machine is now being built for the European market – but this time the customer has specified that the controller must be a Siemens brand – instead of an Allen-Bradley ... Jamal's task is to convert the original program from Allen-Bradley to a Siemens format ...

Jamal has a deadline of approximately two to three weeks (ouch!) ... his biggest problem is that he knows less-than-enough about Allen-Bradley – and now he must try to learn Siemens on-the-fly ... he's basically been thrown into the deep end of the pool – in a classic "sink or swim" situation ...

if I could, I would try to help this guy – but personally I know ZERO about Siemens ...

on the plus side, he really IS a nice guy – and he's quick to grasp what he's told over the phone ... (and he has promised me that THIS time around he will NOT jump from one thread to another) ...

I think that given a reasonable amount of time, (I'm guessing a few months) he could probably pull this thing off by himself ... unfortunately that much time is not likely to be granted ... he's afraid (and justly so) that he's going to lose his new job if this project doesn't get successfully done – and in this economic situation, finding a new job after such a failure would be extremely difficult ...

anyway ...

if anyone out there has enough experience in both Allen-Bradley – and also in Siemens – to help him convert the original program over, then Jamal would be extremely appreciative ...

his local Siemens distributor has looked at the original Allen-Bradley hardware list - and has provided what is supposed to be the equivalent hardware from Siemens ... Jamal has posted the list above ...

I think that Jamal's earlier posts and NUMEROUS threads gave many of us a somewhat less than favorable first impression – but based on my phone conversation with him he seems to be neither dumb – nor lazy ... indeed, I got the impression that he's actually quite bright – and he seems eager to work very hard to get this project done ...

personally I think that he's just been thrown in over-his-head and he's understandably overwhelmed by the scope of this first-time-out-the gate project ... if I understand correctly, his college education included only one semester of PLCs – and it was basically just a little project to program a simulated traffic light or something along those lines ... (we've heard THAT story before haven't we?) ...

summing up ...

since I know nothing about Siemens, I am unable to help Jamal any further – but if I could, then I would ... the only advice that I've been able to offer him is to post the original program – and see if the forum can give him some guidance on how to make the conversion ...

incidentally, I understand that he's already asked his local Siemens distributor for some guidance with the programming – but their response wasn't encouraging at all ...

peace ...

Last edited:
Sir,

Thanks for all the help. You have explained exactly right. The only difference in this machine and the machine in Europe :

This time we have to use Siemens instead of Allen Bradley
and in previous machine we have 2 heat exchanges now we have 4.

Sir,

Thanks for all the help. You have explained exactly right. The only difference in this machine and the machine in Europe :

This time we have to use Siemens instead of Allen Bradley
and in previous machine we have 2 heat exchanges now we have 4.

Just had a quick look, can you check your hardware config?
How many Siemens cards of each type are being used as the RSLogix hardware shows 12 RTD inputs but your Siemens hardware list only shows 8 RTD inputs??
There are a lot of other differences in the hardware config?

The RSLogix pdf also refers to a Touch Screen But your Siemens list does not show this?(eg LAD 2 Line 004)
Also the Siemens Hardware show 120V AC i/o not 24V DC ?

Have you a separate i/o list (schematics?) for the new machine?

Last edited:
Start with Step7 HWConfig.
Here is a lesson from the site I posted you yesterday:
http://www.automation.siemens.com/m...cs_step7_programming/Documents/a04_cpu315.pdf

Is this project so urgent that you don't have time to learn before you act?

You will get much better responses if you show what you have done and ask for comments. Now I have the feeling that you have promised something that you want us to do for you.

Kalle

This does sound as a not-so-trivial task.
What is the deadline for all of this ?

moggie said:
Additionally, 120VAC would be unlikely as a voltage level for i/o in EU. (Not totally unlikely though).

I have to ask if someone take care of the declaration of CE conformity as well ?
There are several aspects to this declaration, the most important one is the machine safety.

Greetings ...

in a perfect world, Jamal would have been hired into a mid-sized to large company – one that could provide an experienced "Big Brother" to teach Jamal the ropes while working through this project ... in reality Jamal has been thrown into his present situation with no real work experience – with no help (except the forum) – and most importantly with insufficient time to get this project done ... I've already told him that I personally consider the deadline to be unrealistic – and frankly I don't think this story is going to have a happy ending ...

on a personal note: Wednesday, June 1 will mark the 20th anniversary of my marriage to the sweetest and most beautiful creature that I have ever met ... and my lovely little wife has promised to take me "away from it all" for a few days ... no computers – no internet – no PLCs ... and when I get back to town, I'll have MUCH work to do catching up on my own projects ... this means that I probably won't be able to help Jamal after this post ...

so ... I'm going to play "Big Brother" one more time and show Jamal how I think he should make the best use of whatever assistance the forum can offer ... one step is to ANSWER THE QUESTIONS that people ask ... specifically, do NOT just ignore the questions – by simply asking more questions of your own ...

here are some examples:

moggie, thank you for you reply ... let me show Jamal how to go about answering your questions ...

Just had a quick look, can you check your hardware config?

I'm not sure Jamal will know what you're asking ... the existing Allen-Bradley list is shown on page 4 of the PDF printout attached to Post #2 ... the "equivalent" list that the Siemens distributor provided is shown in Post #1 ...

as soon as possible, Jamal should look up the documentation for everything on the Siemens list and try to verify that the suggested modules actually will "match up" to the signals needed ...

How many Siemens cards of each type are being used as the RSLogix hardware shows 12 RTD inputs but your Siemens hardware list only shows 8 RTD inputs??

Jamal should repost the list IN FULL – this time giving the quantity of each part listed ... and this time he shouldn't use that artistic "center justify" trick – which just makes things hard to read ... engineers and programmers don't do things that way ... another suggestion: use Courier New font when making lists ... since all of the letters are the same width in that font, the part numbers on the list will tend to "line up" better and be easier to read ...

There are a lot of other differences in the hardware config?

I don't know ANYTHING about Siemens – so I'll have to assume (gosh I hate that word) that the differences you've spotted will become evident to Jamal as he researches the Siemens equipment list ...

The RSLogix pdf also refers to a Touch Screen But your Siemens list does not show this?(eg LAD 2 Line 004)

an excellent point ... I mentioned to Jamal in our phone conversation the fact that he might not have only the PLC to worry about ... specifically, he might (probably will?) have to tackle learning how to do an HMI application also ... (that deadline is looking more threatening all the time isn't it?) ...

Jamal, you need to make sure that the voltages to be used on the new piece of equipment actually DO "match up" with the specifications of the modules the distributor has listed ... this is CRITICAL because if the wrong modules are ordered, the distributor is probably not going to accept their return ... your bo$$ will probably be stuck with extra modules – and forced to pay for the right ones ...

Have you a separate i/o list (schematics?) for the new machine?

Jamal, you need to answer this question with something like this (as examples):

(a) yes, I DO already have a full set of schematics for the new machine ...
(b) no, I do NOT have a set of schematics – I need to prepare a set myself ...
(c) no, someone else is working on the schematics – and I should receive them by Tuesday ...
(d) or something else along those lines ...

KalleOlsen ... thank you for your reply ...

Start with Step7 HWConfig.
Here is a lesson from the site I posted you yesterday:
http://www.automation.siemens.com/mc...a04_cpu315.pdf

Jamal, you need to look at that link and see what it can teach you ... Kalle isn't suggesting it just for kicks ...

Is this project so urgent that you don't have time to learn before you act?

unfortunately the answer to that one is probably "yes" ...

in my line of work I'm running into more and more of these horror stories every day ... with the economic downturn over the last several years, many systems integrators were forced to lay off their experienced workers ... those workers have since moved on to "other things" ... now that the economy seems to be picking up lately, the integrators are trying to power back up again by hiring kids fresh out of college ... the new hires are given little (often ZERO) training before being tossed into the deep end of the pool ... basically: "Here, get this project done by the deadline – or you're fired." ... the sad thing is that the old experienced greybeard workers are no longer around to provide any guidance to the newcomers ... in many ways, the forum has become the only "old experienced greybeard worker" available to help ...

You will get much better responses if you show what you have done and ask for comments. Now I have the feeling that you have promised something that you want us to do for you.

Kalle, I certainly respect your opinion – and I won't try to change it ... but I will say that when I talked with Jamal by phone yesterday, I did NOT get the impression that he wants us to do this for him ... on the contrary, I got the distinct impression that he really does want to do this for himself ... at this point, he just has no idea how to start a project like this – and then how to systematically carry the project through to its completion ...

personally, I don't think that Jamal intentionally promised something that he couldn't deliver ... more likely he got out of college needing a job – and a job was offered ... he took the job – and now he's finding out that there's quite a bit more to programming these little PLC thingies than he was led to believe by his college professors ...

the point I'd like to make is that I personally think that the kid actually COULD get this done (completely on his own) – IF (big IF) he had enough time to do it ... it's just that he doesn't have the time to learn the ropes ...

from JesperMP:

This does sound as a not-so-trivial task.

I'll agree ... personally I myself wouldn't even attempt to tackle it in the timeframe that's being allowed ... I know ZERO about Siemens – and I'd have to be EXTREMELY desperate to attempt learning it under these conditions ... (and I already know quite a bit about Allen-Bradley – which is NOT true of Jamal who still has a LONG way to go on that particular platform) ...

frankly I'd be terrified to be in Jamal's shoes ...

What is the deadline for all of this ?

my understanding is that he has about two weeks – MAYBE three ... Jamal, correct me if I'm wrong there ...

Additionally, 120VAC would be unlikely as a voltage level for i/o in EU. (Not totally unlikely though).

Jamal, you need to double-check that point - and then confirm that the machine will indeed be using 120VAC ... if that is NOT the case, then you need to make sure that the Siemens I/O modules will be the correct ones for the system being built ...

tell the forum what you find out about this point ... it's IMPORTANT ...

I have to ask if someone take care of the declaration of CE conformity as well ? There are several aspects to this declaration, the most important one is the machine safety.

Kalle brings up a VERY important issue ...

Jamal, who is doing the design of the actual machinery? ... hopefully, the conformity and the safety aspects of the project that Kalle has just raised are NOT part of your personal responsibilities ...

if this IS a part of your responsibilities then I'm afraid that your end of the pool just got a LOT deeper ...

from the unsolicited advice department ...

Jamal, suppose that you were my little brother, or a nephew, or a friend ... if you had asked me for my advice BEFORE you accepted this particular job – I would have advised you to seek employment elsewhere ... based on what I know of this trade, a kid fresh out of college can NOT be expected to just walk into a new job and pull off a project like this – at least without some sort of guidance ...

note that I am NOT saying that this can't be done ... I'm just saying that it can't be done WITHIN THE TIMEFRAME that's being allowed ...

as JesperMP has mentioned, this particular project would not be a "trivial" task even for someone with considerable experience behind them ...

in closing:

based on the impression that I got from talking with Jamal over the phone, he is friendly, he is polite, he is quite intelligent, he learns quickly, he's willing to work hard ...

and he desperately needs guidance on how to pull this project off ...

I've done all that I personally can ... Jamal, throw yourself on the mercy of the forum ... answer the questions that they ask of you ... and STAY IN THIS ONE SINGLE THREAD ...

I sincerely wish you the greatest success with your project – and with your future career ...

my work here is done ...

Last edited:
If there are really 2-3 weeks to do the conversion and ship to germany, then this is a recipe for disaster.
I think I could do an AB to Siemens conversion in the alotted time, and even have time to do some testing before shipping. I know both PLCs reasonably well.

Could be a good learning project for a beginner, if he has 3-6 months available. For a talented guy maybe shorter time.
One solution could be to factor in the shipping and onsite installation time. This could buy some time to learn the machine and S7-300 well enough to convert the program. This means the final test will be onsite.

Looking at the AB code, there are a lot of compares of the type shown below. I presume F is floating point is N is integer and that automatic type conversion is taking place.

abcomp.JPG

Yes, AB has automatic type conversion.

Looking at the AB program, I must say that the code is so simple that a conversion within 2-3 weeks must be doable. Maybe not be a complete beginner. But a beginner with some assistance from an experienced S7 programmer could do it.

Like already mentioned, there are other things to consider than the program.
CE compliance statement.
HMI program.

My first question would be why are you converting to an S7-300 instead of an S7-200 or S7-1200? That leads to the question of who compiled the hardware list and what were his/her criteria for the choices.

My guesses are that the end user has got 300 before and it has to do with service, knowledge and spare part logistics.

Btw. the 200 is dying and 1200 isn't very popular in Europe (the Germans prefer STL - which is lacking for the 1200).

Kalle

Just to throw my thoughts in, asking a beginner to carry out this task is crazy!!! I wouldnt touch this job for any money, way to risky. Translating the code may be ok within the 2-3 weeks but what about documentation, offline testing, debugging, online testing, debugging etc. As its been mentioned the safety implications are worrying. To do this kind of job in the oil and gas industry would take months and months to complete.