Panelview Plus 6 software upgrade?

twitte

Hi,

I have a Panel View Plus 6 1250. My Factory Talk view studio ME 5.1 won't recognize the panel, do I have to upgrade to the Factory Talk View 6.0? I have the application done in 5.1, is the 6.0 upgrade available over the web?

Thanks Tyson

Yes, FactoryTalk View Studio ME is available as a web download for customers with an active TechConnect contract.

Rockwell Automation's main web download server is:

http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/downloads.html

You don't necessarily have to upgrade to FTView Studio ME 6.0 to run this application in that terminal; all PanelView Plus terminals can run runtime projects created for earlier terminals. You could create the *.MER runtime file for a version 5.10 terminal, then load it into the v6 terminal via the SD card or the FTP server (if it's enabled on your unit).

You won't have access to v6 specific features, of course, and you won't be able to use the network Transfer Utility (as far as I know).

I am having a similar issue, I am starting up a new project with our first Panelview Plus 6 unit, and I am running Factory Talk View Studio 5.00.

When I try to download to the Panelview, I get an error that says the device is not a valid download path. The Panelview also shows up as a yellow ? mark in RSlinx Enterprise, but shows up ok in my normal RSLinx.

Am I not able to download Panelview applications via ethernet without upgrading to Factory Talk View Studio 6?

The problem is that FactoryTalk View Studio 5.00, and the communication drivers included with it (RSLinx Enterprise) doesn't recognize or support the PanelView Plus 6.

You can do file transfers using USB or CompactFlash media without making any changes to your software.

You might be able to upgrade only the File Transfer Utility; you'll have to check with Rockwell Automation Technical Support.

I have been trying to put a file on the PV using a USB drive for the past hour or two and cannot get any files to show up on the PV. I looked at the PDF for the panelview and it suggested a file structure to use for the Pv to find the file, but that has not worked either.

The USB drive must be formated FAT (and not NTFS) and I remember having to have a particular folder structure, but i do not remember what that structure was.

I really would recommend upgrading your software if you have a Tech Connect contract. You will need to in the future anyway if you get a computer running Windows 7 and don't want to mess with virtual machines.

I have had issues with some USB drives not being recognized. Can you try a different one (the oldest smallest one you can find)?

And the path you must create on the card:
\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\

Put the mer file in that directory so it can be found by the terminal.

I recommend copying the application to internal storage before loading. That way, you can yank the card/thumb drive and the PV+ won't care or go looking for it after the next power cycle.

Well, turns out the Rockwell PDF has the wrong file folder path in its "TIP" on loading from a USB drive.

It said \My Device\Application Data\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime, which did NOT work.

I changed to the \Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\ and it saw the file immediately. PLCtalk to the rescue once again.

Can you point to the exact RA publication that has that path in it ?

That sounds like the path for when you're using the CE Desktop Explorer onboard the PV+6 terminal itself.

The path Paul described is of course correct; it's the traditional removable media path we've been using on PV+ for years.

If the incorrect path is in an RA publication, they need to know about it so they can fix it.

I saw that incorrect path the other day, when I tried to load MER file into a PvP6, after I put the USB stick in the PvP it put the correct path onto the USB stick, I then put the USB stick back into my laptop end put the file in the correct directory and was able to transfer the MER file into the PvP.

I found the document, see PDF

That is exactly where I saw the path I tried to use. Is that for the CE version? I was opening a lot of files and might have missed the fact that it was for the CE and not the "regular" PV model.

It just irks me that the PV will run my v5.0 file, but the transfer utility will not allow me to download to the PV because of RSLinx Enterprise. Is there no way to update RSLinx Enterprise with EDS files as you can with regular Linx?

Hi Paul,

I ran into the same issue the other day. I downloaded FTView 6.1 and it told me it would not work with EVRSI activation. So I only installed the Transfer Utility from 6.1 and kept FTview 5.Studio and it worked.

Marc