PLC5 I/O connection

JeffKiper

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Guys I am 99.999999% sure that a PLC5 can NOT have a I/O connection to a EIP device. It can send Explicit messages but it will NEVER have a Implicit connection to an EIP device.
I have a customer that keeps refering to a I/O connection with his target device. This device can receive both implicit and explicit messages. The device is smart enought to distinguish between them.

I just want to make sure before I tell him that his may be mistaken.

Let me add my concurrence:

PLC-5 controllers do not support implicit I/O connections over EtherNet/IP.

Implicit I/O connectivity over EtherNet/IP will never be added to the PLC-5 or SLC-500 controller families.

While the SLC-5/05 and MicroLogix 1100/1400 can send CIP Generic Messages to Assembly objects, this remains an explicit message and not a CIP I/O Connection.

I was 99.999999+% sure of that. I just gave up and let him call it what ever he wanted to.

He was capturing data with wireshark and kept getting a 250ms request for data. It was a MSG read from the target device. I just say OK. it was easier than getting out the PCCC books and showing him.