Resumes are Slow Coming In for Industrial Technician Position

Rob S.

I am in the process of looking for a Electrical / Industrial
Technician in the Mid-Atlantic Area.I can not believe it, but I have only recieved about 5 resumes. That is the same amount that I got when the unemployment rate was 2.8% . Now it is around 10.5 % ,and I thought they would be knocking the door down. I had put it in the paper , their websites , the county is posting , etc. It has been in for 3 1/2 weeks.

Have you all experienced this also. What do you think the causes are? Is the field drying up ? Is the government at fault for extending benefits as long as they did ? Any thoughts.....

Thanks

Is there anything in your ad which might be driving potential applicants away? Maybe not as drastic as this:

"Require 10 or more years experience with all major brands of PLC/HMI, variable speed drives, motion control, hydraulics, pneumatics, and all other automation components. Must be able to design controls from a clean sheet of paper as well as maintain undocumented systems designed by chimps. Require PE license, master electrician license, certified welder for ASME pressure vessel, first class fireman's license, crane operator's license. Must provide own tools. No relocation. Salary up to $12 per hour based on experience and aptitude."

But you get the idea.

This is the ad.

Local manufacturer is seeking a self starting responsible Electro-Mechanical Technician. Candidates should have the ability to independently trouble shoot, repair or replace all aspects of automated brick manufacturing equipment including positioning and temperature controls, Allen Bradley PLC’s, HMI’s, inverters, servo drives, encoders, SCADA controls, Pneumatics, hydraulics, and standard motor controls.
Suitable candidates should have the ability to read and determine operation of equipment using electrical/mechanical schematics and ladder diagrams. Successful candidates need a strong mechanical background with 2-4 year’s of experience in a manufacturing maintenance environment. Good Computer skills are helpful.

Excellent benefits package with Health, Dental, Life, and a 401K plan.

Is there anything in your ad which might be driving potential applicants away? Maybe not as drastic as this:

"Require 10 or more years experience with all major brands of PLC/HMI, variable speed drives, motion control, hydraulics, pneumatics, and all other automation components. Must be able to design controls from a clean sheet of paper as well as maintain undocumented systems designed by chimps. Require PE license, master electrician license, certified welder for ASME pressure vessel, first class fireman's license, crane operator's license. Must provide own tools. No relocation. Salary up to $12 per hour based on experience and aptitude."

But you get the idea.

...and 40 years ControlLogix experience, 90% travel, weekend and holiday work, no overtime.

Rob that is almost straight up copy of Steves "ad"...

This is the ad.

Local manufacturer is seeking a self starting responsible Electro-Mechanical Technician. Candidates should have the ability to independently trouble shoot, repair or replace all aspects of automated brick manufacturing equipment including positioning and temperature controls, Allen Bradley PLC’s, HMI’s, inverters, servo drives, encoders, SCADA controls, Pneumatics, hydraulics, and standard motor controls.
Suitable candidates should have the ability to read and determine operation of equipment using electrical/mechanical schematics and ladder diagrams. Successful candidates need a strong mechanical background with 2-4 year’s of experience in a manufacturing maintenance environment. Good Computer skills are helpful.

Excellent benefits package with Health, Dental, Life, and a 401K plan.

Really, mechanic who does motion control, plc, instruments, electrical etc. etc. You are askin for god ffs, how many gods u think there is? I think there is zero.

Last edited:
It could be that nobody is looking at the media you're advertising in. It could be that the qualifed applicants in your area have moved away to where the prospects are brighter.

Try posting in the "PLC Jobs" section here.

Last edited:

But you get the idea.

Aint that the truth!!! I'm hating that term 'multi-craft'... Look... how 'bout them hire welders who can also tune a PID?
And THEN... offer 13 bucks an hour...

How do you get qualified if companies only want 10 years experience? Some places don't want to hire less experienced out of the fear of them leaving after they spend the time and money to train them.

As a licenced Electrician I know from that field that there is a lot of Knowledge that is going to be leaving the trade very soon and im sure automation is no different. With out that wealth of knowledge for us younger programers we will surely have a tougher time stepping up to the plate.

Sites like this one are a great place for information and I lurk here daily but will the internet be enough to create the next generation of "Qualified Automation Perfessionals"?

Doing project work the bugets are always tighter. Timelines are shorter. The bean counters are always trying to figure out a way to cut down on the labour so more work is done by a smaller team.

I used to have 7 people in my Electrical department. Now it is just me and I have to look to another office for information.

There must be programmers out there. I could sure use the help right now.

for what it's worth, here's another thing that hasn't been mentioned:

I've read that many workers can't afford to relocate due to the housing market ... they can't find qualified buyers for their present houses - so they'd have a hard time buying a new one ...

In Australia , Electricians who run power cabling on construction sites are paid considerably more than someone who works in machinery ($12/h)
Knowledge and experiance is seldom rewarded properly.
We now work for ourselves.
One company employed a so called cheap programmer at $25 per hr.
He efectivly added 3 minutes to the machine cycle and made pitifull excuse about the inability of the old type PLC [OMRON C200H} - BullDust
took me 1 hr to change the program and reduce the speed by 3 mins per cycle.
at a bit more than $80 per hour -
their production loss was over a 12 month period - Any programmer on this site could have done what i did to fix it - Simple program change

Aint that the truth!!! I'm hating that term 'multi-craft'... Look... how 'bout them hire welders who can also tune a PID?
And THEN... offer 13 bucks an hour...
Right on the money.
I was about to mention the "welding skills" as well as "machining skills"but you got it.
The base pay sounds about right ($13.00-15.00/hr) for this kind of ad.

Companies are looking so much to cut the bottom line that they think it's ok to get somebody who does everything under the sun. I used to think it better that I learn every trade possible to make it easier for me to find a job. Nowadays, they take what I am or they take nothing, and I'm a programmer. Not an electrician, or a welder, or a mechanic.

I think the biggest problem is a lack of qualified workers in the automation field.

I agree.

I would apply if I was anywhere near the mid-atlantic area. Thats basically my job description now.
Just add "repair and replace, gearboxes, motors, chain drives, conveyor systems, gas burners, light welding required, ability to design/install upgrade systems for existing electrical machinery controls, ability to remanufacture OEM parts in-house due to lack of budget"