OT: Anyone interested in giving some advice.

plc_user1973

I have been looking at this program for awhile now:
http://www.cie-wc.edu/Electronic-Engineering-Technology.asp

It works for me and my time schedule. I cannot attend regular college classes because of my work schedule and night classes are out because most of the local engineering schools here have limited courses offered at night.

So my thoughts are to go this route unless someone can advise me otherwise.
It appears to be one of the most comprehensive courses at the associates level that I have seen. Calculus, Fourier Series, Laplace Transforms are all part of the program. Along with a large amount of labs to be experimented with.

I know that its DETC accredited and has an in with the IEEE. I know regional accreditation is important to many, but I ask does the principles of engineering change just because of accreditation. I mean the physical world and how it is explored and then taught doesn't change just because of accreditation or does it? Ohm's Law at one school will be Ohm's Law at another right?

Anyway if someone can tell me if this is worth doing and in the end find a decent job, I would appreciate it. Would anyone here hire someone with an AAS degree from this college.

Thanks in advance.

here's my 2 cents.

You are correct in one respoect that ohms law doesn't change
from one end of the state to the other.
From what i have found is that it does matter in many cases
what school you attend. I will use University of Tennessee as an example. When you graduate UT, people know the reputation of the school, and what it stands for. You learn it, learn it right, and how to apply it. Little or no grade curve.

But, who knows what the grade process is or what the school stands for from an online school in the middle of nowhere. No offence meant to online schools, just trying to make a point.

Make sure the school is accredited, upstanding, and is known
for teaching, not passing someone online to keep getting their money, regardless of what the student knows.

regards,
james

I don't have an engineering degree, but people I used to work with got theres from RIT. It is a well known college. I think everything was online, but once a month, they traveled together on a Saturday for the Lab portions. How close are you to Rochester?

George

You are correct that accreditation does not necessarily mean a good education. Everything you learn may be the same; however, when it comes to getting a job, the accreditation may be very important to the employer. It's their way of making sure you didnt just pay for the degree. Realistically you can learn engineering on your own without any help if properly motivated. With our society, the piece of paper is what gets the interview or the job. In my world its what have you done lately. I would much rather have proof of experience than formal education. In larger companies or for example a government project we just bid, all the paperwork is more important.