RSView 7.5 with RSLinx 2.55 and XP SP3

chudwill

Can anyone please help as i have ben struggling now to keep RSView running for more than 48 hours as continuous use required by the client. The project run fine for up to 48 hours then all of a sudden communication stops. Project still works but all PLC tag related items will ghost. I have already tried SP2 instead and disabling the duo core processor as well as hyper threading. This is getting very embarrassing as with a high profile client and they are now getting very concerned. Can anyone please give me some other help. Richard

Do you have a runtime license, or are you using Works to run the application?
Typically, you will need to purchase a runtime license to run the program for an extended period of time.

Note: this is the case with RSview ME/SE. I'm not real familiar with RSView32, but I suspect the situation is the same. Hopefully someone with more experience with that product can elaborate.

Last edited:
I do have a runtime license, which is for 32k tags and rslinx gateway version. When I say 48 hrs it's around this but varies from reboot to reboot. Sometimes it can be 3 days. My last resort is running in comparability 2000 mode in xp.

No if you have a "Works" license, you do not need a runtime license too. Is it RSView32 or RSView SE or FTView SE? More info please.

You definitely need to troubleshoot the whole system. You won't find anyone saying "yeah, RSView will only run for three days then it crashes". I have projects in all varieties of RSView (View32, SE, ME) running for years between reboots, and I've had systems that break often, too.

What sort of controllers are you talking to, over what network ?

Is RSLinx being run as a service or an application ?

Are you using OPC or Direct Drivers ?

There are error messages in RSView32 and in RSLinx, so go read 'em and see what's going on. With this version you probably have the FactoryTalk services platform installed so you have the FT diagnostics log too.

I had a similar problem with one of our systems. In my case, I traced it down to a Invalid PLC Tags that were installed accidently by our Contract Engineer. I believe they were left over after commissioning, and not deleted. I deleted them, and the problem went away. I found them using the Tag Checker that is part of the Resources CD, although I Downloaded it from AB.

Stu.....

Communication problems are always a challenge to diagnose and fix as the root cause is hard to find. Couple questions (RSLinx assumptions):

1. How many RSView 32 nodes are there?
2. Is each node communicating through and individual instance of RSLinx?
3. Is there any VBA code in the RSView application that is referencing PLC tags?
4. What type of controllers are you communicating with?
5. How many controllers are you communicating with?
6. Are you getting errors in the RSLinx log?
7. Do any of your Tag Folders in the RSView application exceed 1000 tags?
8. Are you making online changes to controllers?
9. What type of network structure is in place? Are you using hubs, unmanaged switches, managed switches?
10. What errors appear in the RSView log?
11. Have you checked the computer's system log for errors?

Thank you for all your help everyone. The system is a simple DF1 RS232 running at 19k2 to a Single SLC 5/04. There is a works and runtime license on the hard disk. However it is the runtime that is running in daily use. There is an activeX running as we need video from a CCTV camera on the screen. However this is not accessing any tags local or from the PLC. As the system is some 200 miies away the last error I remember seeing on the summary bar is channel 1 unavailable. Rslinx is running a service. Richard

200 miles is a quick drive considering they are are high profile client, and they are concerned....do you intend to get onsite ASAP to help them out?

Ultimately for us to help you out you will need to provide more details, and answer our specific questions so we can help narrow it down. Besides, how do you intend to implement a solution?

I am travelling down there tomorrow and currently the only way to resolve is to swap out to the old machine and load the project onto that. Ran for 10 years without a failure. Update the graphics ONLY and hasnt ran properly since.No tags changed, no comms link changed and again crashed no comms again less than 24 hours since the reboot. I will be bringing the machine back to take a good look at the logs from rslinx and rsview but as yet cannot put it down to anything at all.

1. How many RSView 32 nodes are there? One
2. Is each node communicating through and individual instance of RSLinx? DF1 RS232
3. Is there any VBA code in the RSView application that is referencing PLC tags? No
4. What type of controllers are you communicating with? One AB SLC5/04
5. How many controllers are you communicating with? One
6. Are you getting errors in the RSLinx log? Will be checking tomorrow
7. Do any of your Tag Folders in the RSView application exceed 1000 tags? No
8. Are you making online changes to controllers? No
9. What type of network structure is in place? Are you using hubs, unmanaged switches, managed switches? Ethernet switch to sync time and time only.
10. What errors appear in the RSView log? Will be checking tomorrow
11. Have you checked the computer's system log for errors? Will be checking again tomorrow

Just for the fun of it I would take Stu's advice and run the tag checker utility. I have had similar experiences in the past. I do not know if it is a combination of other software, View32 versions, service packs, etc, but some installs of View32 have been major headaches and several have been traced to invalid tags that I would have sworn that I did not have any invalid tags. Anyway, worth double checking with the tag checker.

Darren

We have had several instances with this same issue.
Rsview is not copmpatible with SP3 so we had to reinstall windows and only install SP2. AB may have fixed this issue by now, but we only use SP2.

regards,
james

We have had several instances with this same issue.
Rsview is not copmpatible with SP3 so we had to reinstall windows and only install SP2. AB may have fixed this issue by now, but we only use SP2.

regards,
james

According to the compatibility matrix, 7.5 is compatible with SP3