Protected Instruction

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I would like to know if there is a way to protect an integer word address in my PLC-5. Case-in-point: We have an interlock that prevents a Hydrogen valve opening until the retort temperature is >/= 1,432-degrees F. For troubleshooting purposes one of my co-workers set that interlock to "0" so he could test a new mass flow valve. You can probably finish the rest but I'll write it anyway. He forgot to put it back and I didn't notice it until today, 3-weeks later. So for 3 weeks one could have turned on the Hydrogen at any temperature, which given the right circumstances wouldn't have ended well. Is there a way that I can protect that word address so that once someone leaves "test edits" that it will not allow them to "assemble edits"?
Thank you.

Quick fix is to use a timer that after, say 10hrs, puts the original value back.
That way it can never left.

Interesting, would you happen to have a rung or two you could show me. I know how to write timer instructions, however, getting it to change an edit back to its original state, I'm not sure where to begin. Thank you

Interesting, would you happen to have a rung or two you could show me. I know how to write timer instructions, however, getting it to change an edit back to its original state, I'm not sure where to begin. Thank you

Instead of a constant value (which needs an "edit" to change). Use a register
with the value you want in it ( "Edit not required to change value). Then the above timer method will work, with a "MOV" instruction.

think about just sounding a horn (etc.) if the value isn't where it should be after a certain amount of time ...

I'd be worried that just automatically moving a value (even the RIGHT value) back in all of a sudden could throw a monkeywrench into somebody's testing or troubleshooting operation ...

I know I wouldn't want that type of surprise ...

"register" is just another way of saying a "memory location" - such as N7:54 - or F8:2 ...

Allen-Bradley doesn't use the term "register" very often - but many other manufacturers do ...

I've never heard the term used to refer to just ONE bit ...