AB Sercos Drive System

Tonk

OK I have a customer who is insisting on me using AB sSercos drive system with the Control Logix PLC, looking on the net I have not found one good thing said about it!!

1. Too expensive
2. Not flexible have to use AB products.

The machine is a 3 axis system basically the axes a running independant of each other and in point to point mode. What I did see is using plain old device net for this sort of set up would be much better and cost effective. Has anybody any thoughts.

Great Experience

I have to say that I have had a great experience with the sercos drive system.

I have a customer that didnt want to spend the money for new drives and use what was existing and interface with compactlogix controller. Long story short, after a year of problems and downtime they spent 3 times what they would have if they would have upgraded. They agreed to upgrade to the sercos and the transition was instantly recognized as the right move.

Because the communication and commands are all built in the operation was effortless. Since the install they have not had a second of downtime or any issues with the drive system. Definitely worth what some consider as "too expensive".

2. Not flexible have to use AB products.

you don't have to use AB products look at the Generic SERCOS card 1756-M08SEG

I have many installed (10+ SERCOS systems 3 axis through to 22 axis)
Once setup properly the only things to go wrong are mechanical - Bearings, housings etc. or the home sensor failing (usually damaged)

As it is Point to Point do you really need servo acceleration or just accuracy in final position?
Have you looked at Powerflex 755 (Can give you Ethernet Motion) OR
the 2097 Kinetix 300 EtherNet/IP Indexing Servo Drives http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Motion-Control/Kinetix-300-Servo-Drive#/tab2 OR
2094 Kinetix® 6500 EtherNet/IP-Enabled Servo Drives http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Motion-Control/Kinetix-6500-Servo-Drive

Last edited: