PLC String Customization?

mlegge

Hello,

I am very new to the world of PLCs. My company has an interest in measuring temperature against the expansion of a metal measured through a Keyence CV 5002 vision system. The problem comes in when trying to communicate between a temperature probe and the vision system. The system needs to receive a string in the format "MW, 000, Temp" with MW and 000 acting as dummy variables that are not changed. This would allow the vision system to be able to record the signal and it can receive signals in RS-232c, EthernetIP or I/O with the first two preferred. However, all the RTD (temperatuer probe) DAQs that transmit a temperature as a string send it in just a "Temp" format. I was wondering if a PLC would be able to convert a string from "Temp" --> "MW, 000, Temp"? Ideally the PLC could act as a trigger for the vision system as well but that isn't a requirement. I'm rather new to using PLCs so I wanted to get some insight from experts over whether or not a PLC would be able to do this and if it can how I would go about doing it. Thanks for any help!

I only work with AB platform, so i can only recommend micrologix line either ML1000, ML1100, ML1200 or ML1400, at the same time get an expansion board that is compatible with RTD´s. I forgot the P/N but if you look up thru micrologix manual you will find it.

Yes this can be done by a PLC. Basically what you would need to do is concatenate the 3 strings. This is a canned function block in alot of different PLCs

Decide what PLC you would like to use and someone will be able to tell you the method for that PLC.

When you Concatenate strings it basically places one string on the end of another.

Many PLCs have the string handling capabilities you desire. Is this the only capability you want - a string convertor?

An example of an actual string produced by the temperature measuring device is needed, with actual numbers instead of the "Temp" placeholder, including any decimal points or other information like "F" or "C".

Then show an actual example of that communication as re-formatted to be sent to the vision system.

Of course a PC or even a small dedicated device like an Arduino could handle the RS-232 signals easily.