Red Lion Display

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have a Red Lion Display (LD2SS6P0) that I'm trying to interface with my SLC 5/03. I'm able to write some ASCII instructions and hyperlink it to my laptop and it is working just fine. I plug it in to my Red Lion Display and I get nothing. They are both DTE's so I'm using a null modem cable. I have checked my parameter's on the display ensuring that it as well as the processors' com1 are 19200-8-N-1. If anyone out there has accomplished what I'm trying to accomplish I could sure use some help. I'm pretty new to this so any help at all would be great. Thank you.

There isn't really anything special needed to send data to this display. Its as simple as <data> <cr>, assuming your port setting are matched up. Can you respond with the pin out of your cable so I can verify that for you?

Thanks
Jeremy

There isn't really anything special needed to send data to this display. Its as simple as <data> <cr>, assuming your port setting are matched up. Can you respond with the pin out of your cable so I can verify that for you?

Thanks
Jeremy

It's a null modem cable (3-2,2-3,5-5). When you say it's as simple <data> <cr> are you talking about being connected to the display using hyperterminal and just typing characters then pressing "enter"?

It's a null modem cable (3-2,2-3,5-5). When you say it's as simple <data> <cr> are you talking about being connected to the display using hyperterminal and just typing characters then pressing "enter"?

That is the pin out of a null modem cable but the LDSS doesn't have a DB9 connection. What pins on the PLC do you have connected to which pins on the LDSS?

As far as the data, yes it would be the data string and then a carriage return. This is the same from hyper terminal or your PLC.

Thanks
Jeremy

This is just a follow-up to help someone else that may have this issue in the future. This is very nice display and is easily interfaced with SLC5/03 processor (probably other processors as well however that is the processor I'm using it with). The issues I was having with it is I wasn't formatting my command strings properly. You must have the following format: NxxId6d5d4d3d2d1. I used AWA instruction so the <cr> wasn't necessary. For mine, I had accidentally left the "I" out of the format and the display didn't like it. This is really a neat display. It has two display channel's so I used one to show a timers accumulator and the second to show a tank temperature. Thanks to everyone that helped me with this.