PLC courses best choice.

Elcan

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
My company wants to send a co-worker to a PLC course. We use Allen Bradley PLCs.
What do you recommend?
I know there are PLC courses given by Allen Bradley. I also heard about Ron Beaufort.
I will appreciate your feedback.

Thank you!

I've taken the course offered by Ron and think it was by far better than any other course I have taken. I am just a tech. so I don't know how it works out for anyone that is an engineer. I have also had classes for Modicon and Siemens so overall Ron's was the best.

What role will your co-worker play ? (engineer ? maintenance ? new system design ?)
What platform(s) are you interested in ? (controllogix, SLC500, softPLC ?)

We bought a raft of Controllogix and budgeted for 3 days of training for all the techs, engineers and a few others.

I hunted through AB's training catalog and could not find any course designed for maintenance of a cllgx that includes ethernet and controlnet (but not devicenet). I ended up specifying a 'custom made' course with parts of other courses (example: we needed the controlnet architecture, but not controlnet programming...). AB saw my plan and said it was ok.

I was 100% impressed by the trainer they sent. He'd seen some field time, so he wasnt a typical desk-jockey. He spoke in a way that kept people interested and involved. They brought 10-slot cllgx racks with lappys and software for us to practice with. Lots of exercises to get time doing it yourself. It wasnt cheap (never is) but I was happy with what we got.

No experience with Ron Beaufort's course, so I cannot comment.

-John

What role will your co-worker play ? (engineer ? maintenance ? new system design ?)
What platform(s) are you interested in ? (controllogix, SLC500, softPLC ?)
-John
His role will be mostly maintenance, but it won't hurt him to learn some design.
We work mostly with Micrologix and CompactLogix.

I took the AB controllogix maintenance course, rslogix 5000 course, and panelview course and had good experiences. I cant remember the trainers name but he was excellent.

Hi all,
We use Allen Bradley PLCs.
What do you recommend?

PLC Bootcamp! I have been and am looking forward to going back for more. I have been factory trained by GE-Fanuc and others and everyone has at least two, sometimes more, people per work station. At the PLC Boot camp it's ONE person per station so it is total hands-on. Boot camp may seem an odd name, however, after your employee comes back, they will be able to explain to you how that name came to be. Google PLC Boot Camp and look over the information for yourself. It also has links to sample training sessions on Youtube.

As an NTT instructor in other curricula, I can recommend their basic and advanced PLC courses as among the best. Always well received with top-rated instructors.

Their home office is in Centennial CO but they do public seminars all over the US. The letters stand for National Technology Transfer Inc.