A.D. Productivity 3000 Yes or No and why

KNeland

We are currently going through serious gyrations concerning what platform to install on an upcoming project. As everybody knows there are always different factors pulling opposite ways concerning these decisions. For multiple reasons we are giving serious consideration to Automation Direct's Productivity 3000 PAC.
I cannot find much information concerning peoples experience with this platform other than marketing web stuff. Obviously Price point is strongly in favor with this system, and the free programming software looks very respectable as well. I have heard some compare the system with controllogix quality, and I find many similarities.

Can anyone offer any insight into the Productivity 3000?

Kyle

We are currently going through serious gyrations concerning what platform to install on an upcoming project. As everybody knows there are always different factors pulling opposite ways concerning these decisions. For multiple reasons we are giving serious consideration to Automation Direct's Productivity 3000 PAC.
I cannot find much information concerning peoples experience with this platform other than marketing web stuff. Obviously Price point is strongly in favor with this system, and the free programming software looks very respectable as well. I have heard some compare the system with controllogix quality, and I find many similarities.

Can anyone offer any insight into the Productivity 3000?

Kyle
You may want to visit the Automation Direct forums.
Some info there about the 3000.
Bernie Carlton may chime in as well.
From what I've read/heard so far, no high speed counters of sorts (module or built-in).
No motion cards or on-board for any motion system.
If thats something you will be utlizing keep it in mind.
Other than that I haven't heard much about it.
I looked at the software, looks promising, tag based, etc.
Never had a chance to actually install and test drive a system.

I downloaded the software and played with it a bit. It worked fine and seemed to have everything needed. After the hardware gets a year or two under its belt and they come out with a devicenet card I would consider using it. Those prices are incredible, and I love some of the things they did like configurable displays on the analog modules.

I read one story about a tortilla company and was impressed with what they acheived, although it was all done with A/D supplied drives and touchscreens.

If they come up with Devicenet and/or Ethernet I/P for I/O I would probably be a guinea pig sooner.

Responding to the invite, we are waiting at a minimum for high speed counting before even considering trying this. It's been out for a while with no added features. If nothing comes out it may be a dead end.

I also not that external racks are updated on sequential scans. We would need every scan speed.

We are working on additional modules and features for the Productivity 3000. I don't have any release schedules or information that I can share at this time, but rest assured that we are working hard on adding features as well as additional hardware.

I downloaded the software and played with it a bit. It worked fine and seemed to have everything needed. After the hardware gets a year or two under its belt and they come out with a devicenet card I would consider using it. Those prices are incredible, and I love some of the things they did like configurable displays on the analog modules.

I read one story about a tortilla company and was impressed with what they acheived, although it was all done with A/D supplied drives and touchscreens.

If they come up with Devicenet and/or Ethernet I/P for I/O I would probably be a guinea pig sooner.

Indeed.....these are concerns. I saw some stories about the 3000 as well, but they were from an infomercial magazine from AD.....hehe.

Responding to the invite, we are waiting at a minimum for high speed counting before even considering trying this. It's been out for a while with no added features. If nothing comes out it may be a dead end.

I also not that external racks are updated on sequential scans. We would need every scan speed.

Bernie as always cuts to the chase...We would be using this in an explosive and dynamic environment, where speed is essential.

Again, excellent insights....I must say that the fact the platform has been out for some time and nobody around here has actually used it considering it's afford-ability, gives pause.

Unfortunately I have seen our project timeline, and the lack of currently available expanded communication modules or capacity is probably a deal killer.đź’€

I really want to try this product. I need to develop a product that has a target of selling 100 units each year... I was so excited to find a great solution at a great price and then taken back by there being no High Speed Counter module. Then I looked at the post dates and saw they were from 2009 so I thought it must me something I am missing... Yet there is still no High Speed Counter??? I am glad time is being taken to get it right and that speaks volumes. However if it is not coming to fruition in the near future, I will have to look elsewhere.

What similarities ?
ADs P3000 is one PLC that has very few similarities with ABs ControlLogix.

Yes....sorry to clarify....I find similarities in the setup of the programming environment......the PLCs indeed differ. After downloading the PROD 3K software and experimenting with it a while, it reminded me somewhat of Logix5000.

After everything said and done, we went with a G.E. platform.....we can't sit and wait any longer for a high speed module, or for them to release some additional com card options....And I so did want to roll with the free software...

Last edited: