Control Logix PLC Major Fault

bshaver

I have a L-61 Control Logix processor. I am trying to add a rung in the Power-up sequence. I am getting an "Execute Program..." Major fault. Has anyone seen this issue or know what I need to do to avoid the issue. I am trying to allow the processor to be fully powered up before I activate the alarm sequence so I am not triggering false alarms.

There's got to be more to the error message than that. Post the actual Error Code (it's in the format Type XX, Code YY) and the full text of the fault.

The Powerup routine executes just once before any of the other Tasks in the controller (the Continuous, Periodic, and Event tasks).

Because any alarm logic that you have is going to be in the other Tasks, the Powerup routine won't do anything helpful in that regard.

What I do is use a "Global Powerup Delay" timer in the Continuous Task set to the measured time it takes everything to come up and start working after a power cycle. And by "everything", I mean communication modules and remote I/O adapters and drives and servos and so forth.

Usually this is about 40 seconds, so my rule-of-thumb time for powerup is 60 seconds.
I then use the completion of the Global Powerup Delay to allow processing of my alarm detection logic.

More Details and another question

The fault I get when I use the Power-Up Handler is a Type 1 Code 1. The Help menu says "execute the power up handler" which I did but I could not figure out how to create code to clear the faults (I miss my system bits).

On your timer suggestion Ken, what resets the accumulator?

Playing around with it now so I will let you know what i find.

The controller will give the major fault type 1 code 1 on power up, if a power up handler is defined. It is a normal behavior.
This fault is generated on every power up in run mode and must be clear via an SSV instruction write to the fault record. If the processor is in program mode the error is not generated.

Clearing the fault record is defined in the Common Procedures manual - chapter 1, starting page 17 for PowerUp handler.

Logix5000 Controllers Major and Minor Faults

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
This is exactly what happened to me the first time I created a Powerup routine without reading the manual clearly; the fault is intentional and the first role of every Powerup Routine is to clear it with an SSV.

I don't reset the accumulator of the Powerup Timer; it's simply an unconditional rung with a TON at the end. When I power up or go to RUN mode, it runs for 60 seconds.

I use the .DN bit from that timer all over my program to inhibit decision-making or fault detection for a minute after powerup.

Obviously there are a lot of ways to handle initialization for a system. I like to include an Initialization routine in every Program, rather than a global one or a section at the start of every Routine.

Thanks Ken, I realized the timer will restart everytime the system is powered up. Thanks for the help!

Fuzzy Logic, as for the power-up routine. I will try this later when I have more time to learn and actually utilize this routine correctly. Thanks for the link, very useful!

I've never used the Power-Up Handler.

Always used a conditional JSR (using S:FS), to do any initialisation I needed to do.

Always considered it easier for others to see what was occurring, as the Power-Up Handler can't be "seen" in the main task logic.

My 2c