G3 306K Kadet to SLC 5/04 DF1 HELP!!

rohan tandon

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am trying to connect a G3 306K hmi to an allen bradley SLC 5/04. I have spent a lot of time trying to get this to work but with no luck.

My cable configuration is as follows:
PLC Kadet (PLC RS 232) port DB9 Female 3 RX 2 5 COMM 5 2 TX 3 1,6,7,8
ON the HMI we have configured the 'COMMS ports - RS232' for DF1 master. The source address is set to 0, the SLC drop number is 1. The PLC address is also set to 1.

The baud rate, parity, CRC match with the PLC configuration.
The tag configuration on the HMI is OK, we have used the G3 before over ethernet with a SLC 5/05 so that part of the program is ok.

I am wondering if anybody has used the kadet over DF1 and offer some help. I need to get this working by tomorrow. It appears to me maybe the port is defective on this unit.

Appreciate if anybody could offer some help...

I have a G304K talking to a SLC 5/05 serial port via RS232 but with DH485 protocol so the pin out should be the same:
G3 - SLC
pin - pin
5 - 5
9 - 2
6 - 3

****, I must have been looking at the notes I made for a programming cable...
EDIT: Okay, the G304K is (surprisingly) different. Sorry for the bad info earlier.

g304kpinout.png

Last edited:
I have a G304K talking to a SLC 5/05 serial port via RS232 but with DH485 protocol so the pin out should be the same:
G3 - SLC
pin - pin
5 - 5
9 - 2
6 - 3

Your cable diagram looks ok for G304K.
Pin no 9 is RX, 6 is TX on the G304K but in G306K it is pin no 3 RX and 2 - TX. I have looped together pins 1,6,7 and 8 on the SLC side. My cable is identical to your cable. Still doesn't work.

i just referred to the G3 cable diagram and looped 1,6,7 and 8. Is it really necessary? Maybe this loop is causing a problem?

I finally got it to work, the problem was with the cable. Strangely the configuration that i got from red lion was not correct. A null modem cable doesn't work. I am very surprised!! I spent two days sorting it out...

Apparently, a straight cable is required and not a null modem.
G3Kadet DESCR PLC
2-TXD 2-RXD
3-RXD 3-TXD
5-GND 5-GND

Pin no 2 is TXD in kadet and pin 2 is RXD in SLC.

@ OKIE & Mickey - Thanks for the help. Handshaking was not required at all.

Actually the picture in my post #3 is correct. Sorry to mislead you. I didn't pay close enough attention to the RS232 pin-out labels.