RSV Studio Question

donzeiler

I am rebuilding a RSV Studio distributed application. (the HD crashed and no one backed it up) It is version 3.10 and I have everyhing done but the communications. The Server is a versaview panel and the application is a distributed application with everything residing on the versaview. I have tried using an enterprise server with the shortcut set up to the plc but the tags can't be initiated. I then tried adding a topic in Linx pointing to the PLC (AB5000 series) through the ethernet module and still have no communications to the PLC. This is my first distributed appication and would appriciate and help you can give me. How should the communications be set up? Enterprise server or a topic or both? The system will have clients that will use the versaview to operate the system. Thanks for your help.

Version 3.10 is an old one. That's older than the first SE project that I've done was version 4 something. Did you install RSLinx Enterprise? Then you have to create a new communication server in Studio. Then you configure Enterprise to point to your ControlLogix processor.

Generally RSLinx Enterprise is used as the data provider for RSView SE.

Try not to mix RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic in the same application unless you have a good reason to do so.

In particular if you have an RSLinx Enterprise "Shortcut" and an RSLinx Classic "OPC Topic" with the same name, RSView can't tell the difference and you won't get successful communication.

There's a FactoryTalk Diagnostic Viewer that will show you error messages related to communications.

Since you have the opportunity right now, I very strongly recommend upgrading your RSView SE 3.10 platform to the current FactoryTalk View SE 6.0 platform. It will take some extra time doing the OS reinstall and FactoryTalk software reinstall, but the improvements in performance and stability are worth it.

Upgrade

Upgrading the RSV Studio SE is not an option because of budget cuts. In the class manual it states that Linx should be used if all the services are located on the same PC. I tried this but it still doesnt show up in the tag database list. What do you think about creating a new application and importing the HMI and Tags into it?