Monitor comm health between Redlion & plc

dmarsalekjr

Hi all. Been surfing here since the site was recommended to me durring a Redlion sales call.

I am looking for a best practice on how to have a Redlion G15 report on the communications link to a Schnieder Momentum or Compact plc.

For monitoring the comm link between the plcs I use basic logic like this:

I transfer a register (ie 40001) with a value of one(1) to a second plc register (40002). the second plc has reg 40002 set at default to 0. When it recieves the value from the 1st plc it changes it to a 1 until the link is broken and the value of 40002 reverts to 0.

I was hoping that a data tag in the redlion would be able to have a default value set and when the the communications to the plc is lost the redlion would revert to that value.

I hope i did not miss it. If i did please someone point me in the right direction, if not this may be a good addition the Crimson 3.0 (wink wink).

Thanks,
Dennis

Hi all. Been surfing here since the site was recommended to me durring a Redlion sales call.

I am looking for a best practice on how to have a Redlion G15 report on the communications link to a Schnieder Momentum or Compact plc.

For monitoring the comm link between the plcs I use basic logic like this:

I transfer a register (ie 40001) with a value of one(1) to a second plc register (40002). the second plc has reg 40002 set at default to 0. When it recieves the value from the 1st plc it changes it to a 1 until the link is broken and the value of 40002 reverts to 0.

I was hoping that a data tag in the redlion would be able to have a default value set and when the the communications to the plc is lost the redlion would revert to that value.

I hope i did not miss it. If i did please someone point me in the right direction, if not this may be a good addition the Crimson 3.0 (wink wink).

Thanks,
Dennis

If all you want to do is determine if communications are active, use IsDeviceOnline(CPU1) replacing CPU1 with the name of your device. It will be 0 when the G3xx isn't communicating and 1 when it is.

JHarbin, I can not believe it was that simple. I have read the Crimson manual several times. Once you provided the answer I had to figure out where you got it from. Completely overlooked the Refernce manual. Thank you once again.

I typically set up a tag for each device called STATUS_COMMS and set its data =IsDeviceOnline(n) where n is the device number or name. Then you can easily set alarm triggers for the tag.