Counting cycles

Mtech

Hello,
I'm getting ready to write some programming to count a cycle up to one million. I'm doing this to test a life cycle of a part. Does anyone have any ideas on a decent way to do this? Thanks for any input.

Is the problem counting to 1 million in increments of 1, or is the problem the general sequencing of the test program ?

What controller platform are you using ?

Thanks for the replies. Ron's post answered my question. I just didn't give the use a floating integer enough thought. Thank you much.

depending on which platform you're using, you might have access to either "long integers" or "double integers" ...

this approach would allow you to make use of 32-bit math - and let you easily count all the way up to 2,147,483,647 (over two billion) with no loss of resolution ...

1 million counts in units of 1 is no problem with a float.

16.7 million counts (or more) in units of 1 is a problem with a float.

I will only need to count to 1 million in counts of one. However, I'm willing to learn more about this subject. I am using a 1766 micrologix 1400 series A PLC.