5VDC Encoder with Micrologix 1000

Hi guys,
I have an encoder with 5VDC input and the output is also 5vdc. I need to connect it with the Micrologix 1000, as it only supports input with 14~24vdc. Is there any circuit i can use to convert my 5VDC Signat to 24VDC.
Regards,
Husnain Mahmood

Look at using a solid-state relay (SSR). Pick one with a 5vdc coil, just make sure the switching frequency is high enough to handle the encoder's frequency.

thanks baldone.

well i am actually using a Beckhoff PLC. i have an encoder and need to convert its 5V pulse train to a 24V pulse train for my encoder module.

i was just wondering if that Phoenix Contact device mentioned would be suitable for the conversion

thanks baldone.

well i am actually using a Beckhoff PLC. i have an encoder and need to convert its 5V pulse train to a 24V pulse train for my encoder module.

i was just wondering if that Phoenix Contact device mentioned would be suitable for the conversion

Looks like it's only good to 300hz so it will probably not work.

Which Beckhoff controller are you using?

prefer to make it with a opto isolator IC like a 4N35 for example.
the 5 volt side will light a led in the optocoupler and a transistor inside will go to short the output, together with a resistor on the 24 Volt power it will set the input to ON.

Hi

I use the 24V in and out and they do have a 100kZ version. The Phoenix data sheets aren't very helpful so I can't see if they have a 5V in with 24V out at 100Kz.

With a bit of persistence on the RS website I found 533-0003

Link to Phoenix website:
https://www.phoenixcontact.com/onli...-oc-itemdetail:pid=2964270&library=usen&tab=1

which is 5V d.c in 4-30V d.c. out and 100kZ

You will still need a 5V supply and you could run in to trouble if you need quadrature at high speed because of slight differences in the opto units.

Well I just need a speed measurement so don't think I will be using quadrature.
this is the one that I was looking at I think it is the same as the one you mentioned. Do you think it would work?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/optoc...eproducts-_-FeaturedProductsContent-_-5330003

one other quick question regarding the "pulses per revolution" if you know the answer

this is the encoder wheel that I am using. http://uk.farnell.com/avago-technologies/heds-6140-j06/code-wheel-1024ppr-3ch-1-4/dp/1654878

I was wondering how it has 1024 pulses per revolution? I cant see that there are 1024 slots on the wheel?

533-0003 does seem to be the part you want, though looking on the RS website it is out of stock till tomorrow. I use the 24Vd.c. In 24V d.c. Out version and they seem to work well, though I am working at maybe 200Hz.

The picture on the Farnell website is just for illustration so don't worry that you can't see 1024 slots. If the description says 1024 ppr then it should be a 1024 ppr system. I would always check that you are getting the pulses expected by performing one revolution and seeing if the count is anywhere near 1024.