Crimson 3.0 and multi-dimensional Arrays

cross1284

I can't for the life of me figure out how or even if making 3D arrays is possible. I can get a 2D array just fine and stings are obvious. I'm trying to make a monitoring interface for a couple dozen values on a couple dozen PLC units over ModBus. I would like to have a pointer going through an array that would select the unit to be displayed. Inside i need arrays of strings for all the non-numerical data that will be saved and retrieved. I would love to be able to assign the elements of the array to it's own modbus location on the PLC also but it doesnt appear i can expand the array that far either. I would hate to have to create some complicated work around for something that seems would be a simple option somewhere. Has anyone else had this problem?

that makes things a lot more complicated when you are trying to deal with many many PLCs and you need to thumb through them and display unique data from any of them. I guess ill have to use place holder tags and background programs. Im a little disappointed

Why use multi dimension ? I would make I folder for each PLC then make it so you can copy and paste the info. 1 folder per connection makes is what I try to do so you can look at the PLC and see what is where.

I agree with Jeff. Create all the tags for one PLC and put them in a folder. Then copy and paste the folder and mass edit the device for the tags.

By mass edit, change one tag in each new folder to point to the correct PLC, then copy, and paste special onto the other tags in that folder.

Paul do you use excel to edit tags or do you have some master tag that you make the pointer to the PLC and link all the other tags yo that tag?

I have only used excel when recreating a PB32 app with about 500 tags. I used the export to learn the structure and then edited it (added the tags from the PB32 app) and then imported. This might be a good option for the OP.

The built in copy and paste special is so powerful and flexible inside Crimson, I haven't needed excel other than that one app.

I haven't used the copy and paste function yet. I am getting good with excel. Taking rs500 or 5000 tags and making quick work of building the tag databases.

Smart duplicate is a useful tool, i tend to export especially if i have alarm text to copy & Paste

zowie

I have only used excel when recreating a PB32 app with about 500 tags. I used the export to learn the structure and then edited it (added the tags from the PB32 app) and then imported. This might be a good option for the OP.

The built in copy and paste special is so powerful and flexible inside Crimson, I haven't needed excel other than that one app.

Thanks man....I just learned something very useful. The paste special inside Crimson.....just....wow. All this time....o_O I need to check this forum more often!

Even better than that, someone else pointed out that you can export the tag database using PB32, already in the RSLogix500 format! Then simply import that into Crimson, and voila, 1/chunk of your work is done.

Then, you can modify the tag properties where they are used, for instance, as a multi-state indicator or message display object in the panelview, you should build that into the tag properties. Where they are boolean indicators, set the on and off labels appropriately, then recreating the screens becomes a very quick operation using the default properties of many items on teh resource pane.

I noticed just the other day, that you can expand tag arrays (in the right-hand resource pane) and then drag and drop whole lists of tags or select members of an array, and plop them on screen. If the labels are already there, you simply stretch the width of the group and that's it!