Siemens Step7 remotely download program to MP377

AlecTek

Hello,

I have Step 7 v 5.5 and WinCC flexible 2008 on my laptop, and we have a customer (MP377) on the internet with a fixed IP address.

I can upload the customer S7 program (Menu->PLC->Upload station to PG, at here I enter the customer internet IP).

However, when I download from simatic manager (Menu -> PLC->Download), it doesn't ask me for the remote IP, and trys to connect somewhere for a while, then pops up an error: Online: connection could not be established. The connection partner is not responding.

I can also download my HMI (WinCC Flexible) to the remote because when I click on download there is a prompt to enter IP address.

Can any one tell me where to enter the ip address before I perform the download function?

Best regards

Can you ping the cpu? Always the first step. ;)

Step7 seems to use two things to connect to the cpu:
1. The Set PG/PC interface
2. The connection info in the hardware configuration. It defaults to the IP in the hardware config but you can change this when prompted.

So if you set the PG/PC interface to your network adapter (I always use TCP/IP and my NIC) and your PC can ping the cpu, then it should work.

Thanks Paul.

Ping is OK, actually, I can upload the program from the MP377, and download my HMI screens to the MP377. I just cannot download my step7 program to MP377 Because I just don't know how to tell Step7 the IP address of the MP377.

When you download program remotely, what're the steps to config the internet connection?

1. The Set PG/PC interface
I think this one is configured correctly.

2. The connection info in the hardware configuration. It defaults to the IP in the hardware config but you can change this when prompted.
The hardware configuration are for local only, i.e. when I connect my laptop with a ethernet cable directly to the MP377, I configure it 192.168.1.1. But now it has a internet port forwarding, for exaple, 65.125.32.27. But the simatic manager never asks me to input the internet address.

any ideas?

Last edited:
So your have an MP377 with WinAC MP ?
And WinAC MP is installed and running already, only you need to download some modified blocks ?
And, you have a connection to the remote LAN via VPN ?

So your have an MP377 with WinAC MP ?
Yes I have MP377 with WinAC MP.

And WinAC MP is installed and running already, only you need to download some modified blocks ?
Yes, exactly.

And, you have a connection to the remote LAN via VPN ?
I am not sure about it. But someone did the download before, not with my current laptop.

Thanks, JesperMP

Do you have option for gateway in properties?

OT: Have never used winac (nor lc). How one does configure it?

For downloading locally, the hardware configuration has to be done first. an IP address is given to the MP377 (in network configuration I can see the PLC's port is connected to the industrial ethernet.)

When my laptop's ip is set in the same subnet with the PLC, and once I click on Download button, it will get the ip address from the hardware configuration and download the program.

I am confused in the remote mode, how does Step7 knows where to download the program. maybe I should change the hardware ip address (it might be forwarded to the MP377) and give a try, but I just don't want to crash the customer system.

You must explain more what the "remote mode" consist of.
VPN ?
what are all the IP addresses, and Subnet addresses ?
Router(s) ?

ok,

MP377, ip:192.168.0.1
router (port forwarded) internet IP: 66.66.66.66

My laptop, ip: 192.168.1.1
router internet ip: 77.77.77.77

Program, hardware config, ip: 192.168.0.1
program, Netpro config ip: 192.168.0.1

if locally, i have to change my laptop ip to 192.168.0.2

I don't know about the VPN......

I think there must be a router that connects the MP377 to the LAN.
The HW Config of the MP377 must have the routers IP address as Gateway address.
What are the subnet addresses ?
The routers IP 66.66.66.66 doesnt seem OK.
edit: The Router IP that is used for the Gateway, must be the IP on the LAN side, not the WAN (internet side).

I think there must be a router that connects the MP377 to the LAN.
The HW Config of the MP377 must have the routers IP address as Gateway address.
What are the subnet addresses ?
The routers IP 66.66.66.66 doesnt seem OK.
edit: The Router IP that is used for the Gateway, must be the IP on the LAN side, not the WAN (internet side).

The router's ips are the internet side, I ignored the local side.

The port is forwarded, that means, if I will use port 102 (siemens downloading), the router will forward to the communication packages to MP377.

66.66.66.66 is a number I made, but it is just a ip, doesn't really matter.

Ah, how very insecure way to do it.

Did you try just change ip address in hw config, if you dont need to download it then it doesn not change anything in plc, you can just change it back how it was after you are done.

Got it. You guys are right, modify the HW Config to the internet IP but don't upload HW Config to the PLC, thus the remote downloading can be continued. I was worrying too much about the PLC IP address change.