Control a Relay From Omron HMI Serial Port?

sbaum

Ok I know this is rather un-conventional, but I want to control a relay with the RS232 port on my Omron NS5-SQ10B-V2 Serial Port. Yes I know, just buy another output card, but I do have my valid reasons for wanting to do this.

I googled this topic and found lots of examples for doing this on a PC and then writing something in Basic or C to control the outputs.

There's got to be a way to write a macro in my NS and do something similar with a HMI.

I am comfortable with designing a circuit to drive my relay, but I could use some ideas on how to control it.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the HMI, but a few years ago I used one of these with a PanelView Standard:

http://ftp.bb-elec.com/product.asp?sku=232DRIO

The customer wanted a particular alarm to trigger a horn, and the PanelView was the only thing in the cabinet. I wrote an alarm with an accompanying "Print" function and it was all done.