SLC 5/03 Burnt port

Bullet Man

OK seen this one.
5/03, I have burnt (charred) two processors I am hooked to a PV600 on DH485 on the RJ11 port. Replaced P/S Back Plane and processor at different times, I am thinking one infected another and now am waiting on New components, to replace them all, has anyone seen this, I HAVE NEVER IN MY 20+ YEARS:cry:

this might not be even remotely connected with your problem so don't let it send you on a wild goose chase ...

but ...

you need to be aware that two of the contacts in your processor's DH-485 port are used to supply 24VDC and a DC return to "other" devices which might be connected there ...

in other words, there's HOT STUFF and a RETURN PATH in that plug ... I've heard horror stories of bad things happening when the cable hooked into that port wasn't treated with respect ...

What's the history ? Were these systems just working and then went Pfft, or are they being hooked up for the first time ?

The only cable that should be used to connect a DH485-equipped PanelView Standard terminal to an SLC-5/03 Channel 1 DH485 port is a 1747-C10 or -C20.

These cables have a flat "AMP" connector on the PanelView side, and a RJ45 connector on the SLC-5/0x side.

post-7072-1204033960.gif

The RJ45 style plug on the PanelView itself is for connecting a 1747-PIC or 1747-UIC. It doesn't have the hot 24V pin.

That hot pin on the SLC-5/0x DH485 port has burt more than one Ethernet port up in the past when folks just assumed that any two devices with RJ45 connectors could be connected together.