1747-552 can't connect using 1747-UIC

greenbum

I am currently having difficulties connecting to an SLC 500 PLc 1747-L552. The laptop I have connected is USB only and I am using a 1747-UIC and 1747-CP3 cable. The software version for RSlinx is 2.42, and rslogix is 5.50. I have tried setting my configuration up as a RS-232 DF1 device, the same com port as the one in system properties, device = 1770-KF3/1747-KE, baud rate 19200, even parity, stop bits 1, error checking CRC and full duplex. It appears I am connected the the UIC as the USB led is on. Also when I auto-configure the PLC rs232 led flashes but I still do not see the plc in rs linx.

Please help....

Your 1747-UIC is a USB to DH485 converter. So the serial port on your
SLC5/05 must be configured for DH485 protocol, is it?

If the serial port on your SLC5/05 is configured for DF1 protocol then you need a USB to Serial adapter. Brand name "Keyspan" is a good one. See link below, right hand side.

http://www.plctrainer.net/

Also your versions of RSLinx and RSLogix are pretty old, you should consider upgrading if you have a tech connect contract. RSLinx Lite is free to download though.

Last edited:
If you don't have a USB to serial adapter on hand...

You could try connecting to it's Ethernet port. See PDF below for how-to.

Thanks very much Mickey, just ordered a 'keyspan', should be here monday. Just another quickie, is this the same with the micrologix 1500, can i not use the UIC, would it be easier to use the keyspan, as this has both cable ends with it.

Default comm for the ML1500 is DF1 protocol but it's port(s) can be configured for DH485. They then could use the 1747-UIC.

Thanks for the plug Mickey....

greenbum, you can configure just about any of the AB's to DH485, but I think its a bad practice unless you have a DH485 network or HMI that you are going to use it on, 99.9% of the people that would walk up to the machine behind you would not ever consider hooking up to that machine with anything other then the standard protocol (RS232) and the DF1 driver, its the easiest one in RSlinx to configure as you just push auto config button

Hope this helps