RSLogix5000 W7 64 bit work arounds?

mzobrest

I just got a fancy new laptop only to find out they still don't have RSLogix5000 ver 18 or 17 compatible with W7 64 bit, but "they are working on it". Are you kidding me? They mentioned using VMware, but I am not sure I can find an XP license to steal. Anybody come up with any solutions? I have V17 and 18 systems in the field that can't be easily upgraded and as of right now I have to carry 2 laptops around, or stick with my old one. Nothing is ever easy. With all the cost of AB software and tech support contracts, you would think they would have it all working since Windows 7 has been out almost 18 months and I can't see anybody buying a 32 bit system these days.

If you have Windows 7 Professional or higher (not Home Premium) then it comes with a fully configured and licensed XP VirtualPC. This works fine with Siemens Step7, but whether it's OK for RS I don't know.

They are not working on it. I was told that they have no plans on making previous versions compatible with W7 or 64bit. Only future versions.

I have 17 and 18 installed in 64 bit (although I did it a while ago so I don't remember exactly the troubles that I went through). Just to cover your bases, make sure you have .NET 1.1 framework installed (may not be necessary, might have been an earlier version that needed it) and you will probably have to play around with XP compatibility mode and make sure that you right click on the setup and select "run as administrator".

Not only has it been out for some time, but it has been available to developers for longer...

As RMA pointed out, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate come with a license for XP. Rockwell recommends VMWare Workstation if you go the virtual route. I have used VMWare Player (which is free).

I have it installed also, but they say its not compatible. Have you been able to use it on controllers with v17 and v18? Any idea why its not compatible?

I used it on a V17 1769-L32E. It was on my home desktop and I did it purely for experimental purposes a couple of months ago. I ended up removing most of the software (FTVS, Linx) because I didn't want all the services running on my machine.

You probably want to be using Linx 2.57 as well.

My feeling is this: "It's not compatible" = We will not guarantee it will work.

I'm the VMWare Workstation advocate on my engineering team. A few of the other guys have tried XP Mode or VirtualBox or monkeywrenching things onto their host OS and I just breeze along with VMWare Workstation 7.

In my case I had an XPSP2 bulk license so it wasn't hard to create. You could probably take a former-service computer and perform a PC->VM translation.

Yes, you need plenty of CPU power and RAM. I'm running a pretty hot i7/8GB machine so it runs really fast.

The dividends of not having to worry about conflicts and revisions and frameworks and patches are HUGE.

My host OS runs RSLinx Classic and the Activation Utility, and that's it. The VMs borrow their activations from the host over a dedicated virtual Ethernet network that includes only the Host and the VMs. My database servers run on VMs too.

The question about whether or not RA makes things backwards compatible is a moot point for me; I installed the RA CPR releases in stages and can go back to RSView SE 4 and RSLogix 5000 v15 just by opening a VM snapshot.

VM Workstation is not that pricy but for most folks the additonal XP license are non-starter with our bosses.

I know. But what is your time worth to the company? You'll be wasting your time trying to get different software to cooperate with each other. VMWare Player is free, if you can't get Workstation. I don't know if you can still get XP licenses. This is the future of software anymore. I don't do any development on my bas computer, all of it is on a VM.

I'm the VMWare Workstation advocate on my engineering team. A few of the other guys have tried XP Mode or VirtualBox or monkeywrenching things onto their host OS and I just breeze along with VMWare Workstation 7.

In my case I had an XPSP2 bulk license so it wasn't hard to create. You could probably take a former-service computer and perform a PC->VM translation.

Yes, you need plenty of CPU power and RAM. I'm running a pretty hot i7/8GB machine so it runs really fast.

The dividends of not having to worry about conflicts and revisions and frameworks and patches are HUGE.

My host OS runs RSLinx Classic and the Activation Utility, and that's it. The VMs borrow their activations from the host over a dedicated virtual Ethernet network that includes only the Host and the VMs. My database servers run on VMs too.

The question about whether or not RA makes things backwards compatible is a moot point for me; I installed the RA CPR releases in stages and can go back to RSView SE 4 and RSLogix 5000 v15 just by opening a VM snapshot.

Ken

I have a base vm with nothing but xp then ft activation with keys node locked to the vm then i just install each version or config setup in a different snapshot.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing it this way versus the way you described that you do it?

Just curious.

Kid -

My thoughts would be that if you host your activation files from your HOST machine, then you can serve up activations to anyone. So, if you want to experiment and install software on your host, your activations are taken care of. If you decide to build and use multiple VMs, each can look at the host and grab an activation file. I doubt that a VM could host an activation to another VM, possible but then you need two VM's open.

Hosting the activations inside the VM is easier and simpler and works very well with snapshots. It's the best way for most users and is wonderfully transportable.

My specific reasons for putting the Activation Manager and RSLinx Classic on my host OS were:

1. Prove it works. Sometimes I'm just stubborn.

2. RSLinx Classic Gateway. I can run hardware drivers on my host that aren't available in a VM, including 1747-PIC/AIC and the old 1784-PCC, -PCD, and -PCMK drivers. RSLinx Classic in my virtual machines can then use them over an ordinary "remote driver via RSLinx Gateway" connection.

Although my host is Windows 7 64-bit on my main work machine, I have an XP/SP2 box with a PCMCIA slot and onboard RS-232 configured the same way, for those rare instances that I do need those old drivers.

3. Eliminate the VM as a possible driver problem layer. If I have problems with USB or TCP/IP or even serial, doing it this way removes the VM, the Guest, and the Guest installation of RSLinx from the troubleshooting chain. I mess with drivers and stacks and interfaces a lot and want to keep things as simple as I can.

VM Workstation is not that pricy but for most folks the additonal XP license are non-starter with our bosses.

Since version 3.0, the free VMWare Player can be used with the downloadable XP Mode from Microsoft (free and fully licensed). The only requirement is Win7 Pro or higher (in order for XP Mode to authenticate). You don't get all the bells and whistles of VMWare Workstation, but it's completely free, and does work.

Here is one of the many 'how-tos' about it, with links to the various components needed.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1091...s-7-machines-without-hardware-virtualization/

I have multiple virtual machines on my Win7 laptop using this method, and it works great. I have a 'raw' XP installation that I just duplicate when I need to make a new VM.

Microsoft's Virtual PC, on the other hand, did NOT work for me. My Siemens STEP7 Basic software ran incredibly slow on Virtual PC, but flies on VMWare Player.

🍻

-Eric

i have a software rs logix 5000 but i lost the activation file can i use the activation key of rs logix 500 instead

I like toast.

This is a message forums with thousands of existing topics (threads). Me liking toast is fine, but I really should have started a new topic instead of adding my comment to a 5 year old thread discussing 64-bit compatibility.

But to answer your completely unrelated post. "No". Call or chat online with Rockwell Tech Support. Help with activations is free.

I am really quite partial to sourdough.

OG

I don't know what the problem is I have been running all versions up to and including 27 on a windows 7 Home Edition.
there was a problem with the splash screen on one of the versions but AB support said to disable it and the problem went away.
in fact I just migrated to a windows 10 machine and I have hade no problems yet running RS 5000. I have also just installed TIA Portal V13 on it and so far no problems