File names and program revisions

jad5150

I've got a question and am looking for some feedback. I work for a plant that uses the D3 DCS system for our plant control system. We have roughly about a dozen Control Logix plc's in the plant for communication and some control.

We don't currently have a procedure in place to handle documenting program changes and revisions we make. I'm interested in hearing how some of you handle this. Do you add a revision date to the file name so you always have the previous program? Do you use the revision area in the controller properties or have a separate spreadsheet? We have demo'd Rockwell's system, but because we such a small number of devices, it was decided to not be cost effective by our supervisor.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.