SLC 5/03 communication

chan0828

Hi,

I tried to connect PC to SLC 5/03 using RS232.
I tried all the pinout suggested on the web (Some were quite different). None of them were working.

When I configure driver on RS Linx, I clicked "auto configuration" then this message kept showing. "Fail to detect baud rate. Check switches and cable"

Did I make communication cable wrong?
Thanks.

Is this a working SLC? Already programmed?

Your cable should be a null-modem cable. See PDF below.

What driver are you using?

Do you have the offline file, if so post it here. ( zip it first). Or take a look at the channel configuration. The RS232 port can be configured for DF1 , DH485 or ASCII protocol.

Does your PC have a real serial port?

The pinout you showed me is exactly what I make and SLC was programmed and worked before in other place.

When I look at the Driver Configuration in RSLinx, I can see these information; Device Name: AB_DF1-1 Comm Port: COM1 Device: SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView.

And I plugged old serial mouse in there and worked.

The message kept saying "Failed to find the baud and parity! Check all cables and switch settings!"

I do not know what to do.

Answer the following question.

Is this a working SLC? Already programmed?

Reread this.

Do you have the offline file, if so post it here. ( zip it first). Or take a look at the channel configuration. The RS232 port can be configured for DF1 , DH485 or ASCII protocol.

The pinout you showed me is exactly what I make and SLC was programmed and worked before in other place.

When I look at the Driver Configuration in RSLinx, I can see these information; Device Name: AB_DF1-1 Comm Port: COM1 Device: SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView.

And I plugged old serial mouse in there and worked.

The message kept saying "Failed to find the baud and parity! Check all cables and switch settings!"

I do not know what to do.

Maybe the RS232 is programmed for DH485... The RS232 port can be programmed for either DF1 and DH485. It sounds to me that maybe the port is configured for DH485. Does the RS232 light on the PLC blink intermittently even when the cable is not plugged on the port? If it does then you need to use a PIC or UIC converter...

Thank you for the quick reply.

RS232 light is not on at all but Fault red light blinking and DH485 green light blinking intermittently even when the cable is not plugged on the port.

The RS232 light will light when it is communicating, do you have a UIC or PIC cable? this is the RJ45 connection the UIC is the USB version of the 1747-PIC

Is this a working machine? if not you can reset the CPU and you should be able to use the RS232 port again

Blinking red means that it is in fault, do you know what happen to the PLC, is this a CPU that you installed into a rack?

Thank you.
I tried to reset CPU by shorting out VBB and GND for 60sec as per manual. But, same thing again after. Fault and DH485 blinking.
Yes, this blinking is on the CPU which I installed into the rack.
Like Rohan Tandon said, RS232 seems to be programmed for DH485.

Shorting the VBB and GND will reset the serial port back to RS232.

The flashing FLT and DH485 indicators are normal for a processor with no program.

Is this a computer with a built-in serial port or are you using a USB to serial adapter? What I am getting at is that maybe the wrong COM port has been selected. The rS232 DF1 driver defaults to COM1. Do we know that this is in fact correct?

OG

It has been said many times before on this forum, are you using a computer with a real RS232 serial port or a USB to Serial adapter? If using an adapter, not all will work, the Keyspan USA-19HS has been recommended. If you were able to reset the processor by shorting VBB to GND, the default baud rate will be either 1200 baud or 19200 baud. Try these rates if the Autoconfigure isn't working.

Edit:
Operaghost types faster than me, I made some duplicate comments.

Last edited:
Thank you Operaghost.

My desktop computer has two serial port, COM1 and COM2.
I tried on both ports.

And I have serial port, COM1 on my old laptop.

None of them are working.

I don't know why nothing changed after shorting VBB and GND?

Thank you Operaghost.

My desktop computer has two serial port, COM1 and COM2.
I tried on both ports.

And I have serial port, COM1 on my old laptop.

None of them are working.

I don't know why nothing changed after shorting VBB and GND?
Did you disconnect the battery before shorting VBB and GND? It should be disconnected before shorting VBB to GND. Also try shorting it for a longer amount of time.

These posts help me to settle my problem in my m/c shop, I struggled for 4 h's but after read these post, I made it.
SLC 5/03 communication --good , then I down load back up, m/c running ok now
the key point I get help is fast reset CPU to default--then RS232 working.
thanks PLC.NET and all members for this title.