Running MER apps on PV1000's

dcooper33

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi All,

In my plant I have several pv1000 terminals running apps developed on panelbuilder 1400e. I need to make changes to some of these programs and I am wondering if I open an old .pvc file in FTView Studio as a .med file, then create a .mer file, can I run this on the older terminals, or will mer's only run on pv+ terminals? I ask because I've mostly worked with the newer software and am not that comfortable with pb32 or pb1400e.

Thanks in advance for the help

A Concise History of PanelBuilder

Allen-Bradley has used the "PanelView" name for quite a few different devices over the years. I can think of five distinct product families.

PanelBuilder for DOS and PanelBuilder for Windows supported the original CRT PanelView 1200 "Classic" terminals.

PanelBuilder 1400e (Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT) supported the PanelView Enhanced terminals, 1000e, 1200e, 1400e.

PanelBuilder32 supported the PanelView Standard flatscreen terminals that were probably the most successful and broadest product line bearing the name. These included the 300 Micro, 300, 550, 600, 900, 1000, and 1400.

PanelView Plus terminals run FactoryTalk View ME on a Windows CE platform and use the FactoryTalk View Studio ME editor. There are PV+ 400, 600, 700, 1000, 1250, 1500 terminals and the software can also run on Windows XP.

PanelView Component terminals have a built-in browser-based editor or use the new Connected Components Workbench.

The direct answer is that you need the older software to support the older terminals. While there is a little bit of forward migration functionality, there is no backward runtime functionality between product families.

Thanks for the response.

I have the older software available and the changes are minor, so I'm sure I can figure it out. I knew I could migrate the application into FTView Studio, but I guess I won't be able to use the newer software until the older terminal dies and it's time for an upgrade to pv+.

Thanks,
Dustin

PanelView Plus terminals run FactoryTalk View ME on a Windows CE platform and use the FactoryTalk View Studio ME editor.

Ken I was lurking on this and just wanted to make sure of what flavors the PV+ came in - One with access to Win CE the Other no access?
Both use FT View Studio ME.
Only the one with CE can have an activeX

Thanks Michael

The PanelView Plus platform has been through a few identity and functionality changes, but you've got the basics.

The "open" models of PV+ 700 through 1500 were originally called VersaView CE, then PanelView Plus CE, and allowed access to the Windows CE desktop and support for the extended functionality like ActiveX controls and VNC.

The PanelView Plus v6 hardware, as I understand them, all have access to the extended Windows CE functionality, so there is no "PanelView Plus CE v6". Instead there's a feature that lets you turn off desktop access.