Dell E5510 Touchpad?

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
We boutght a Dell E5510 (Serial Port/ PCMCIA), and I have had a couple of times, when plugging into equipment via serial, or ethernet, that the touchpad mouse quits working. I didn't get the touchstick, because I have never used it on our previous Latitudes. Going to contact dell, but curious if anyone else has had this problem?

Thanks,

Slightly OT, but i have the Latitude E5500 and have always experienced issues with the built-in Touchpad (for several reasons) and always select the option to disable touchpad and use external mouse (see below)

May not be of use, but i find this much more stable (Dell obviously have issues they need to resolve with the built in Touchpads though!)

Rob

2011-06-20_134502.jpg

You are not alone. My E5510 does the same thing. Mine seems to be most affected by VFDs. The touchpad works fine until I power up the VFDs, even when not physically connected to the PLC. I use a bluetooth mouse as a solution.

A friend has the same laptop, and his also acts up in the same situations.

🍻

-Eric

I was hoping it was just me.... Then I would have more of a case to send it back. Had the problem once connecting to a panel view component via Ethernet, and Sunday connecting serially to a microgix.

I have a 5500 and a 5520, never had that issue with either one... the 5520 will loose everything if put into hibernate for longer then a hr then needs to be restarted but other then that both have worked very good

BTW I only use the pad on both of them, I only disable the tap on the pad

Again yesterday, I hooked up a 1784-U2DHP and my Dell Touchpad sometimes it works. I see someone say problems with Drives. Same there but again, not every time. Anyone have problems with this that they might have found the fix for?
Thanks
George

Last edited:
I've had problems with Dells before as well as I am currently with my Precision 7510. I fixed my issue by going into the Bios and disabling the "Intel Speed Step" under the "performance" tab which allows the pc to choose the speed for the processor automatically. However, that alone did not solve my issue. I also had to disable "Turbo" (also in the performance" section which allows the CPU to overclock. After both of these were disabled, I was able to connect and use my touch pad. Just wish someone knew the answer to my previous post about connecting to Ethernet IP devices.