Shift Register?

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I would like to know what the function of a shift register instruction is. I havnen't seen it in a program yet, however, looking through the SLC 500 Reference Manual I seen it and just wondered if I could get an understandable explaination. Thank you.

take a look at the figure below from thelearningpit's bottling line exercise ...

http://www.thelearningpit.com/lp/doc/bot/bottle.html

the idea is that sensors can check each bottle at ONE point in the line (tall, broken, etc.) – but then the information doesn't actually get USED until some OTHER point - further down the line ...

you can use a Shift Register to move the "information flag bit" down through the conveyor line step-by-step along with the bottle's movement ...

then when the bottle finally gets to the "fill" station you can use the flag's status to decide whether to fill a "short" bottle or a "tall" bottle ...

bottle_line_3.JPG

Last edited: