Purple peeper

ddeshi2

Hi all, We have a tool that is to be inserted downhole in an oil reservoir. The tool comprises of a a small burner and a flame is ignited in the burner. We need a scanner for the flame detection. I know there are a lot of products out there in the market but couldn't find any that suits my requirements: the scanner should withstand a temperature and pressure of 400 F and 500 psi as it is inserted downhole in a reservoir. Does anybody have any idea about the flame detectors that can withstand the above mentioned temperatures and pressures. If not, is there any other method of detecting a flame without using flame detectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WOW! No, the temperature rating should be no problem, but I have never heard of one rated for 500 psi.

You might have to make your own detector, using electronic parts, and get it approved by the authorities having jurisdiction.

Last edited:
@ Lancie

What is the maximum pressure that a flame detector can withstand? You said that temperature is no problem .. could you please send me the link of that product that can witstand the 400 F temperature.

Max pressure is usually only 20 psi or less. The temperature rating for most flame rods is 500 degrees F. The Honeywell flame rod is the one I am thinking of.

The Honeywell Q3400A Igniter-Flame Rod Assembly replaces the
original igniter-flame rod assembly in the Q3450 and Q3480
Pilot Hardware used with the SV9500 and SV9600

SmartValve
Ô System. The Q3400A has a unique keyed
plug connector that will only fit the SV9500/SV9600 Systems.
This assembly can be replaced without removing the pilot
burner, see Fig. 1.
TEMPERATURE RATING:
Flame Rod Tip: 1800

° F [982° C].
Igniter Insulator: 905

° F [485° C].
Flame Rod Insulator: 1250

° F [677° C].
Flame Rod Lead: 500
° F [260° C].

I seriously doubt any commercial UV sensor will take either the heat or the pressure.

Operation of a flame rod at high pressure brings up the question as to the functionality of a conventional current rectifying circuit in an ionizing flame environment. Conventional flame safety components are designed to work near atmospheric pressure.

I don't know what the effect 34 atmospheres of pressure (air, oil vapors?) has on standard AC source voltage and a standard flame rod assembly with spacing designed for atmospheric operation.

From somewhere in memory comes a vague recollection from car engine days that higher compression engines needed a higher voltage coil to generate enough ummph to get spark to jump the plug gap in an atmosphere of more highly compressed air and fuel than standard compression engines.

Will a flame rectifying circuit require tweaking to work at 34 atmospheres? I don't know.

Dan

I think you need an oil-field instrumentation company to handle that type of sensing. What type of rig is this? Are you trying to burn unwanted gases in a formation in a well? Or use a flame to detect their presence?

@okiepc

As I have mentioned we are planning to put this tool downhole. It's a downhole steam generator. And we are trying to find a Flame detector that can withstand high pressures as the whole tool will be exposed to high temperatures and pressures when placed downhole in an oil reservoir. Our tool is built to withstand those high pressures. but we need a flame detector to insert on our tool to detect the flame and it should be able to withstand that high pressure and temperature of an oil reservoir.

Do you need to detect the actual flame, or just know somehow that the burner is lit? There are other detectors that can sense combustion or combustion products, and might be more rugged.

Anyway, that Spectra GT30 gas turbine sensor appears to meet your specifications.

Last edited:
the steam will be contaminated.
i would use two thermo bimetal sensors. if voltage is zero then flame is off, else flame is on.
can be used in high temp and very high pressures.

@ Lancie 1

Actually we want to detect the flame but if we don't find anything that can withstand our temp.s and pressures we might go with sensors. Is there any video camera that can withstand our temperatures and pressures? I have found one when I searched for downhole cameras but it can record video only upto 5hrs. We are looking for something around 24-48 hrs.

@shooter

Can you please send me the link to it.

This may be a really stupid question, but why use gas/flame to generate steam rather than some kind of electrical heating element?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom