Communications Question in RSView

donzeiler

All,
I had a HD crash and reinstalled XP, then I reinstalled all the AB software and activated it. I got my RSV SE Distributed App working on the Server PC and can run the 5000 PLC. Now we want to set up a second computer as a client on a WORKGROUP to run the App. I set both PC's to the same WORKGROUP and can see each from the other. I can browse the PLC from each also (RSLinx). When I try to set up the client on PC-2, I cant see the HMI Server. I did set the FT directory on PC-2 to the server. I checked the accounts on the server and I can not pull PC-2 up on he drop down to allow it. Basically this will just be 2 PC's. One the server and the other the client running a RSView SE Distributed App. I have an Enterprise server on the Server running.
1) Do I need IIS on the server?
2) Do I need to change the DCOM on the server to make this work?

How would you go about getting the server and client working on a WOKGROUP?

Yes, you need to install IIS on the HMI Server.

I very strongly recommend that you do not continue with a new installation of RSView SE 3.10.

Go back and reinstall Windows XP SP2, do a fresh installation of IIS and Internet Explorer 6, and then install the CPR9-SR3 release of FactoryTalk View SE, which includes FactoryTalk View 6.0 and the associated FactoryTalk Services Platform, Activation Manager, RSLinx Enterprise, and RSLinx Classic.

This will give you over five years of improvements to the stability, performance, and features of FactoryTalk View SE.

Any time you need to spend reinstalling Windows will be more than recovered in the stability and performance of the modern software.

Thanks Ken.

This may sound stupid but Can I just install IIS at this point? All the screens are made for this old application, I can operate the PLC and I'm tasked with getting it restored to what it was. We have no funding but I need to get this system back up. This system has been out for 6 years. WOW

Thanks,

You could try; it certainly can't hurt.

I was in a similar situation a couple of years ago and spent my own personal money buying surplus servers to install FTView 6.0 onto virtual machines so that I could test the migration.

Unless you get to walk away from this HMI system the minute it's restored, I very strongly recommend pushing to install the modern software.

Migrating from version 3.10 to version 6.0 should be nearly painless. I would prefer any challenges of migration to the challenges of just getting a 3.10 system restored and troubleshot.

Hell, I've still got those virtualized servers. Send me a PM and I'll migrate the project for you.

Greatly appreciated.

Once I get it going with this OLD stuff, I'm going to try and get them to find some funds for the upgrade. The FY-12 budget is so bad, we are loosing 18 positions and closing facilities on the Allegheny River. Heck, I'm begging to get a Tech Connect. Thank God for this site and my local distributor!