Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys

Hardware:
1769-L32E CPU
1769-PA4 Power Supply
1769-IA16 Input Card
1769-OW16 Output Card
1769-IF4XOF2 Analog Card

I just built a PLC workstation. It's composed of eight toggle switches, and four NC and four NO pushbuttons. It also has 16 LED pilot lights for output simulation. I have a pot for an analog input.

I am not familiar with setting up communications. I have my 1769-L32E controller installation instructions. Here is the PDF link... http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1769-in020_-en-p.pdf

Go to page 19 on the PDF file. My question is, how do you assign an IP address??? Im sorry for my ignorance but I am not experienced with communication setup.

Is it asking the IP on the controller (which I assume) or the PC's IP address? I just need details on this. I also need to enter the ethernet mask and gateway. I have no idea where to find these addresses.

I hope I have made myself clear and thank you all for your help!

I have found that it is easier to connect to the processor with a serial cable, and then set the ip address, then reconnect via ethernet. Continue reading your pdf file. It tells you how to do it using BootP, and later on by serial.

RTFM

Out of the box, the compactlogix should be making BootP requests in order to obtain its IP address easily from a BootP server. You can download and run the BootP server from ab.com, but first, look to see if you already have it on your start menu, go to "All Programs", "Rockwell Software", and look for "BOOT-P DHCP Server".

If the CPU is not brand new, it may already have an IP address. I believe there are some fairly simple ways to get you PC to find it, but I would have to defer to those more knowledgeable for the easiest of those methods.

If BootP doesn't work, I would connect serially and once connected, you can set up the ethernet channel how you want it, then switch to an ethernet connection for further programming.

Thanks guys for the quick responses!

I clicked on the BOOTP-DHCP Server and a message appeared:

"Please configure your network settings before using the BOOTP-DHCP Server tool."

What do I have to configure exactly?

If the CPU is not brand new, it may already have an IP address. I believe there are some fairly simple ways to get you PC to find it, but I would have to defer to those more knowledgeable for the easiest of those methods.quote]

The CPU is brand new.

Do you have RSLogix5000 and RSLinx? If so, look for that BootP utility, and connect with a crossover Ethernet patch cord or with two straight cables connect both your PC and the CPU to an Ethernet hub or switch.

Ok so I just typed the SubnetMask in the network settings window of the BOOTP Utility and an ethernet address began to update tself every 10 secondss or so. I clicked on the address and the New Entry window appeared with the ethernet address already in the box. All I needed to do is assign an IP. I made up an IP and put it in there.

Now for somereason it does not communicate with it.

Your laptop/programming computer needs to have an additional IP address assigned to it. For example, if you gave the PLC an address of 177.188.199.100 then you need to give your laptop an address where the first 3 octets are the same, such as, 177.188.199.155, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Your laptop/programming computer needs to have an additional IP address assigned to it. For example, if you gave the PLC an address of 177.188.199.100 then you need to give your laptop an address where the first 3 octets are the same, such as, 177.188.199.155, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Ok I understand. How do I assign this IP to my PC? Sorry like I said before, I am ignorant. :confused:

open network connections on your computer.

Find the active connection (something like local area connection)and open it's properties.

highlight Internet protocol version 4 and click on the properties button for it.

click on "use the following IP address and enter ther IP as I explained earlier. No gateway is necessary.

Click OK to close everything out and you should be good to go.

And not knowing and asking is not ignorant. Pretending you know when you don't and then screwing stuff up is ignorant.

FYI, if your PC is usually connected to the internet via this internet connection, you will lose connectivity when you assign it the new IP address. I usually use a second network adapter for PLC communications to maintain my Internet connection on the original network adapter.

FYI, if your PC is usually connected to the internet via this internet connection, you will lose connectivity when you assign it the new IP address. I usually use a second network adapter for PLC communications to maintain my Internet connection on the original network adapter.

Agreed. I use 2 as well but I assumed he was hooking up from the only one normally available. When your are done doing the work on the plc you will need to return the ip settings mentioned above back to what they were before you changed them or you will lose all other connectivity. Sorry for not mentioning that before.

Agreed. I use 2 as well but I assumed he was hooking up from the only one normally available. When your are done doing the work on the plc you will need to return the ip settings mentioned above back to what they were before you changed them or you will lose all other connectivity. Sorry for not mentioning that before.

I use wireless for internet access.