Panelview Plus Comm Issues

dcooper33

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello All,

I have a FTView Studio v5.0 app running on an extrusion/winding line that shares 3 PV+ 1000 terminals that all communicate together as well as a PLC5 primary controller and a Logix5000 processor for the heat controls.

I recently was asked to add an object to the application that would allow the operator to change an alarm setpoint from the touchpanel. As no development files were available, I had to do an upload from the pv+ to the development cpu, then restore the runtime app back to the studio. Other than adding the one object, I made no other changes, but after downloading the updated project back to the pv+'s, only one terminal would still communicate with the PLC's. On the two pv+'s that weren't working, I was able to reload the original app, then go back to the config screen, load the new app again, but keep the terminal's original comm config, and everything worked properly after that.

Later I compared the communication setup in RSLinx Enterprise on both dev files, driver by driver, in local and runtime, and as far as I can tell they are identical.

I am confused why the new app's comm config would work on one panel but not the other two when it's identical to the old one. Has anyone else ever run into something like this?

Really, the "runtime" (or Target) path is what is important for your PanelView to communicate. Just seeing the processor in the driver on that tab is not enough, you need to make sure that when you click the shortcut defined, that the processor is highlighted. If it's not, then it is not going to communicate to the processor.

Generally when comms is not working for me, I open then application while on the network that it will be running on. Then I setup the local shortcut and test a screen to see if it will communicate. If it does, then I use the copy to target button to apply the same comms path to the target (or runtime tab). Should work after that.