Scrubber Sensor's

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. We had a Hydrogen Explosion in our fume scrubber and we are in the process of building a new one. What I would like to know is, anyone out there that has experience with sensors, switches, etc... for a toxic gas scrubber that will interface with a PLC-5 or, better yet, if any of you folks sell such items, I would like to hear from you. I know the obvious such as pH probe, totalizer for make up water, flow sensor, pressure switch (to prevent over pressure), differential pressure sensor, and a LEL sensor for Hydrogen, and anything else that you can think of that I might be leaving out. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice that could be offered here. I would like this scrubber to be safer than the previous one. I don't think this is enough info to get to specific devices, however, it's a start. Thank you.

I had a RKI Beacon 200 hydrogen/methane monitor across my desk awhile back. It worked fine with the exception that the Modbus network would drop out and require a reboot (or just change one parameter in the setup) to get it going again. I traced the problem to their PSoC chip that controlled the Modbus subsystem. RKI's solution was to incorporate a stand alone pulse-to-Modbus converter inside its enclosure to provide a reliable Modbus network.

So if you plan on using Modbus to network things together, I couldn't recommend it. Otherwise, it worked fine.

http://www.rkiinstruments.com/pages/beacon200.htm

Are you using any type of FID? How are you monitoring the air. You need some way to tell the concentration. Just measuring the us air moving doesn't tell you quality.
Not sure if a nuclear gauge would be a good setup or not.