Trio vs AB for motion controller

PeterDMC

I haven't done motion control before. I am building production machine that incorporates 7-axes of simple non-coordinated motion.

It looks like the AB CompactLogix controllers can serve as a motion controller if you use Kinetix drives. I am also considering a Trio motion controller. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each platform in terms of setup, reliability, maintainability? Which would you prefer?

Peter

CompactLogix is a grat way to do motion and it is simple. You don´t need to learn Triobasic or another motion langue, you can do it in ladder!

If i´ll should do a machine width coordinated motion i would use a trio controller but you can do that width AB as well!

if you are a plc man go for the ab solution you will get it op an running in a day, the work flow is the same as you are used to from the plc world. If you are working width motion and robots the trio is a better choice if you ask me.

Hi
If I were you I would stick to one manufacturer. They would integrate together much better and if you had any issues they could not pass the buck

Having said that because you dont need co-ordination are you simply doing start/stop with a speed reference or looking for positioning/ speed matching type stuff

What does the machine do? Whats its function?

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. The machine is for a miniature welding system which uses precision linear stages to do small scale pick and place. The machine picks up a wire; removes the insulation; then aligns the PCB trace, wire, and weld head. Cycle time is relatively slow about 5 seconds per weld.