RSVIEW 32 Version 4.6

JIMMYZZ28

I am attempting to install an older version (our current) of RSVIEW 32 on a new computer and everything has gone pretty normal. I had to call Rockwell and they sent me 2 diskettes which I thought would be the end of my troubles. Runtime and Linx are asking me for reset codes. Please note that I am doing this prior to connecting to my braze ovens. The computer that is out there is an original piece and its all but dead but still operating.If I move this computer I think it will crumble. I was hoping to have the new item going prior to making the swap. Do I need to go ahead and make the swap and then try and finish? Or do I need to get back to Rockwell for these codes? Any information would be a great help.

Thanks, James

Explain this in detail:

"Runtime and Linx are asking me for reset codes"

Is this during installation of the software, or when you start it up, or at some other time ? The only time I've seen the term "reset codes" used is with the old EVRSI activation utility.

RA probably sent you EVRSI activation diskettes, so all you should need to do is perform a Move Activation using the Move Activation Utility.

As a more general question: are you also installing this software on vintage hardware and a vintage operating system, or are you expecting a copy of RSView32 from the early 1990s to run on Windows 7 ?

This is during the start up of the software. Without doing this information it defaults to a 2 hour demo. This is on the Move Activation but, I am going to try to utilize the move utility but going to say that this is when it prompted me for the reset codes. The machine it is currently running on is a windows 98 unit and I am trying to bring it in on a windows xp machine. All the demos and samples work so I am hoping that the machine will be ok.

Thanks James

I went into the move utility and this brought up EVMOVE. I insert the diskette and I get this error "Activation File may be in use, disk may be write protected or sharing services may be missing".

A screenshot or step-by-step description might help us understand better.

"This is during startup of the software"
- Exactly which software package do you mean: RSView32 Works, RSView32 Runtime, RSLinx, or something else ?
- Precisely what does the error message say ? A screenshot would be excellent.

The EVMove Utility should never ask for a reset code; it should just allow you to move activations from the floppy drive to a hard drive.

The EVReset utility is different. You should not have to use it.

Which revision of RSLinx Classic are you trying to install ?
Which service pack of Windows XP have you installed ?

Your post about the EVMOVE utility does not mention a "reset code". Which problem are you trying to solve ?

Last edited:
First, shut down everything. Shut down RSLinx Classic. Shut down RSView32. Reboot the computer and make sure RSLinx Classic didn't automatically start up. You cannot move an activation if it is in use.

THEN try using the EVMOVE utility.

I have all of the RS packages you list above and they are installed. If I choose one of them this is when it ask me to perform the EVMOVE. I have rs linx 2.40.01 and service pack 3 on XP. Thanks for your patients I am not an IS person but the only one here that knows enough to be dangerous. I have an actual controls person coming into make the swap on the machines and I was just trying to get this setup for him. Solid works and Cosmos was a breeze to install compared to this(lol).

James

Every thing was restarted and I went into the start up services under MSCONFIG and none of the RS components are set to run on start up. I have a Move Activation and a Move Activation 32 bit, should I be using one or the other?

James

RSLinx Classic can run as a Service or as an Application; usually you see the little "chain link" icon in the Windows Taskbar.

To verify for certain if RSLinx Classic is running, use the RSLinx Launch Control Panel; Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx -> RSLinx Launch Control Panel.

This will tell you unambiguously if RSLinx is running.

With both RSLinx and RSView not running, the EVMOVE utility should allow the activation to be moved from the diskettes to the hard drive.

You should use the "EVMOVEW.exe" utility, the 32-bit version. This stuff goes well back to before Windows was invented.

Ken,

I will have to pick this back up at 5:00am, thanks again for your help and I will keep you posted on how I make out with these items.

James

I have all of the RS packages you list above and they are installed. If I choose one of them this is when it ask me to perform the EVMOVE. I have rs linx 2.40.01 and service pack 3 on XP. Thanks for your patients I am not an IS person but the only one here that knows enough to be dangerous. I have an actual controls person coming into make the swap on the machines and I was just trying to get this setup for him. Solid works and Cosmos was a breeze to install compared to this(lol).

James

You'll need to check the compatibility of that OLD version of RSLinx. I don't think it'll run on XP SP3.

As has been mentioned, the functionality of an old revision of RSLinx Classic might be an important issue.

What type of PLC controllers is this RSView32 application communicating with ?

What sort of physical network is it using ? Ethernet ? DH+ ?

While the industrial software world moves slowly, it doesn't stand still. If you have a DH+ card from the mid-90's it probably won't run in a modern PC.

As has been mentioned, the functionality of an old revision of RSLinx Classic might be an important issue.

While the industrial software world moves slowly, it doesn't stand still. If you have a DH+ card from the mid-90's it probably won't run in a modern PC.

Right. Where the software is eternal, the hardware necessary to run it on isn't.

RSLINX running as activation.

RSLinx Classic can run as a Service or as an Application; usually you see the little "chain link" icon in the Windows Taskbar.

To verify for certain if RSLinx Classic is running, use the RSLinx Launch Control Panel; Start -> Programs -> Rockwell Software -> RSLinx -> RSLinx Launch Control Panel.

This will tell you unambiguously if RSLinx is running.

With both RSLinx and RSView not running, the EVMOVE utility should allow the activation to be moved from the diskettes to the hard drive.

You should use the "EVMOVEW.exe" utility, the 32-bit version. This stuff goes well back to before Windows was invented.

RSLINX was running as an application and was turned off using the launch control panel. I still get the attached error when I utilize the EVMOVE utility.

IMAG0579.jpg

Lead into the main box is ALLEN-BRADLEY PLC 5/60, The cable that is coming out of the lower PCI slot is marked D700. I am not exactly sure how to verify the exact card that is in the machine.

James