Producer/Consumer Tags

OOPer

RSLogix 5000

Do the tag names have to match for these to work?

For instance, I have a producer tag proTag1 in my controller, can the consumer controller create a consumer tag conTag1 and map it to the proTag1 on my controller or does the consumer controller need to create proTag1 as well?

The Consumer tag name doesn't need to be the same as the Producer tag name.

The two tags must be of identical data types, and of course you need to enter the Producer tagname exactly when you configure the source for the Consumer.

When I say "identical data types" I mean it in the absolute; not just identical data sizes or identical member types. If you use a UDT, copy it between projects to avoid the possibility of mis-typing a member name.

The Consumer tag name doesn't need to be the same as the Producer tag name.

The two tags must be of identical data types, and of course you need to enter the Producer tagname exactly when you configure the source for the Consumer.

When I say "identical data types" I mean it in the absolute; not just identical data sizes or identical member types. If you use a UDT, copy it between projects to avoid the possibility of mis-typing a member name.

Thanks.

I am developing a tool that will be integrated into a bigger system. There will be 5 of these tools in the system. So, in theory (I am hoping), that I don't need 5 different sets of tags for all these 5 tools to communicate to the main system controller. Am I right?

First, what do you mean by "tools"? A produced tag can have more than one consumer of that data.

First, what do you mean by "tools"? A produced tag can have more than one consumer of that data.

umm. tool as in a piece of equipment that uses "a" PLC :oops:. All the 5 "tools" in my example use the same piece of code. The master PLC or system level PLC reads data from these 5 PLCs.

Ah, OK. Then you will need a pair of producer/consumer tags for each "tool" PLC.

Are you suggesting that the tags on the tool should look like the following?

tool1_ProTag
tool2_ProTag
tool3_ProTag
tool4_ProTag
tool5_ProTag

instead of
tool_ProTag

can the consumer not map tool_ProTag to their own tag based on the producer connection?

Do you have five PLCs communicating to one master PLC? Is the master going to be the consumer of data from each of the five producer PLCs? If so, then you are going to need five pairs of producer/consumer tags.

Do you have five PLCs communicating to one master PLC? Is the master going to be the consumer of data from each of the five producer PLCs?

Yes. (All the five PLCs are executing the same code)

If so, then you are going to need five pairs of producer/consumer tags.

Why? šŸ™ƒ

Why is the following not possible?

Consumer tag tool1_tag, on the master, is connected to tool_tag on tool1
Consumer tag tool2_tag, on the master, is connected to tool_tag on tool2
Consumer tag tool3_tag, on the master, is connected to tool_tag on tool3
Consumer tag tool4_tag, on the master, is connected to tool_tag on tool4
and soon

The documentation here suggests that it should be possible, what am I missing?

page 16

http://samplecode.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/pm/1756-pm011_-en-p.pdf

You've got it right. There's no need for the Produced Tags from multiple controllers to have different names.

Only the Consumed tag name needs to be unique, as you have described.

You've got it right. There's no need for the Produced Tags from multiple controllers to have different names.

Only the Consumed tag name needs to be unique, as you have described.

Thank you.

Now I will have to convince the master PLC vendor, so I don't have to maintain 5 different code sets :D