1785-L80E/E Firmware upgrade

sifis

Banned User
I have a 1785-L80E/SER E/REV C01/ F/W REV A/ MANUF 0497. I want to upgrade the firmware to a D.1 or newer firmware.Any suggestions please. Thank you.

Firmware kits for PLC-5 controllers (ser E or F) consists of a ControlFlash download file and a set of PROM chips.

Firmware kits should be purchased, here below an example of the ordering code:

The part number for PLC5 firmware:
F1785-LxxTSer#
xx - Enhanced Processor number. ie 11, 20, 40, 60, 80
T - Enhanced Processor type:
B
C15 - ControlNet 1.5
E - EtherNet
L - Extended Local IO
# - Series of the processor ( A, B, C, D, E or F )

The part number for a 1785L80E series E will look something like
F1785-L80ESerE

The following Insallation Manual would help on the procedure:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1785-in022_-en-p.pdf

- fuzzy logic

Last edited:
About two years ago I was told that RA was discontinuing direct sale of firmware upgrade kits for PLC-5 controllers, and was only offering upgrades as part of a full remanufacturing process of the controller.

The reason I was given was that too many users were experiencing system problems related to aging hardware, so the process of buying, installing, and testing firmware upgrades was wasting time and producing poor outcomes.

I tend to agree; a firmware issue is unlikely to take fourteen years to appear.

The rules might be different if you are trying to fix a specific problem that is known to be fixed by a specific firmware revision.

Get in touch with your local Rockwell Automation distributor or local office and find out what their policy is on firmware kit sales for the PLC-5.

Ya, I remember I had to upgrade a 5/80, something to do with Ethernet/IP to Panelview +. Somehow the new chip bricked the processor but worked fine after I put back the old chip and the control flash part worked fine. good times.

Do not do this on a weekend. Let's just say RA don't have their A team working on weekend.