Valve remote mode

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I am looking at some code. They have valves, with their own property UDTs' . All fine so far.

A valve can be in Auto Manual or Remote Mode

Auto and Manual are obvious enough... why would I need a remote mode?

Cheers

Hi
I am looking at some code. They have valves, with their own property UDTs' . All fine so far.

A valve can be in Auto Manual or Remote Mode

Auto and Manual are obvious enough... why would I need a remote mode?

Cheers

Just a guess...

Remote mode would be controlled by a switch at the valve itself. We have had customer requirements that...

1. The control system automatically opens the valve when required (if in AUTO mode) or...
2. The control system opens the valve when requested by the operator (MANUAL mode) or...
3. The operator may walk up to the valve itself and OPEN or CLOSE the valve regardless of the control system command. This is through a switch mounted on the actuator itself. We normally call this local control, but it is only semantics.

Another option could be that the valve could be controlled by another system or piece of equipment. This could be if the valve is part of a process line of many pieces.

Another option could be that the valve could be controlled by another system or piece of equipment. This could be if the valve is part of a process line of many pieces.

Basically like a cascade of control... although i would call this example auto lol.

Thanks guys it sounds like somthing I wouldnt require as a standard function so will leave out, and create another standard function with remote mode if i ever need it

Cheers

Nomenclature can be tricky. Here is another guess:
Manual is valve position controlled by an operator standing at the valve.
Auto is valve position controlled by a PID loop or other logic in a PLC or controller.
Remote is the valve position set by an operator from a SCADA system or HMI.

Manual is valve position controlled by an operator standing at the valve.
Auto is valve position controlled by a PID loop or other logic in a PLC or controller.
Remote is the valve position set by an operator from a SCADA system or HMI.
I agree. These are the most common terms that I have seen over the years.