Siemens L1Direct/Elau Motion + Wonderware communications!!

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Chaps,

Has anyone come across Elau Motion controllers communicating to a Wonderware SCADA via the Siemens L1Direct protocol?

We have a machine that has this setup, with a PC running Windoze 3.11! By all accounts, we have not been able to find an alternative to the L1Direct driver that will run on a Win2000 as yet.
There are rumours that the siemens AS511 protocol may also work, so am exploring this option with Kepware & Software Toolbox (who by the way have identical application environments!).
Another point that has been raised, is that the L1Direct driver was bery timing specific & may not run on modern PC's, due to the clock speeds or something similar.

What we need to know, is if there are alternatives available that would allow us to read/write to/from the Elau Motion controller from a Win2000 PC.

What we are trying to find out, without much success, is what the motion controllers are actually using.

The OPC board link you provided may be worth a look, but then again it is still a ticking bomb until the motion controller decides to fall over...

In reality, this machine may be looking at the recyling man, unless the customer decides they want to keep it, then the $$ start coming.

edit:
How do I contact the OPC board manufacturer to ask them some questions?

Cheers Jesper,
I have made an enquiry with them, will see what they come back with.

My thoughts are pushing towards this is a bad option, as it is just delaying the unevitable, more hardware replacement... 👨🏻‍🏫

Yep, that is the consensus I am coming to very fast!

Re the siemens protocol, I did manage to find something that referenced the mailbox function, this maybe what this system is using, does anyone know anything more about this function?

The PCI card does not support the AS511 protocol apparently.

Next option I am exploring is a step by step upgrade for them, instead of replacing Motion controller & motors, I think just the Motion controller could be upgraded, then maybe the drives next year.
Elau local have bascially said they don't want to know about it..

The Elau controller can communicate to Wonderware via OPC (it would involve some program mods in the Elau program). The Elau programming software (EPAS-4) comes with the CoDeSys OPC Server (CoDeSys is the platform that EPAS-4 is built on). If the OPC Server is running on the WOnderware PC then it can establish a link to variables defined for exchange on the Elau side. I don't know how this fits in with what you need to do on the Siemens side, but I have seen many systems with Elau communicate via OPC to Wonderware / Scada systems no problem.

Thanks MD7777.
I am not sure what version the ELAU controller is, do they all support CoDeSys, or only recent models?
The attached pic is what the controlller looks like.
Can this be modified to suit, cna the config be uploaded? I think there may be programming software on the machine PC, but cannot be sure.

IMG_0135.jpg

My apologies, I was assuming your machine had a current Elau controller. The picture I believe is a model SX-2 or something like this. Unfortunately that is an extremely old model Elau controller that does not use CoDeSys. This being the case, I unfortunately have no idea what you need to get it to talk to wonderware if it is even at all possible. There is really no support available anymore for that product as it has long since been discontinued. (except maybe a few veterans in the Germany headquarters) so I could see why your local rep would not touch it. I know there is (or was) a programming software for it called EPAS-2, but I'm not sure where you could get a copy or if anyone knows how to use it.

Sorry I could not give you better news, but maybe some integration service may be willing to investigate it ??

yes, that is a 4 axis Sx-2 Unit. The Epas-2c software can be obtained from Orbit Motion in Mashpee, MA. The sinec L1 protocol really isnt that hard to decode is you can read the STL in the S5 FB. If you need more information ask Orbit for the direct phone to Elau Germany and they should be able to help.