Step5 with a USB-Serial Converter

yogiontour

Hello Chaps

I'm usually a BMS controls engineer however we get sent on call outs to fix PLC systems.

I have a job where I need to connect to an S5 PLC. I'm running windows 7 with a virtual machine running Windows XP. From this I have a Serial to USB converter with a standard serial to tty adaptor.

When I try and connect to the PLC I get an error message reading System Message 0344.

I had a read online and It says that my com ports may be in use by another application. I know this not to be the case.

Any ideas????

Not sure of you can just use a standard USB to serial adapter connected to the RS232-TTY adapter.
I think not.

Deltalogic and IBH Softec have USB-to-TTY adapters that should work with STEP5. I would contact both of them and ask if they work via a VM. Post the result on the forum please.

I had trouble with getting an AB PLC to talk to a VM using the same setup. With the adapter and drivers installed in the host machine, I could not get the virtual machine to grab the serial port. When I "connected" the adapter to the virtual machine, however, it worked fine.

btw, the adapter I use is the Keyspan USA-19HS.

iam newer to use plc step5 but i actually have usb adapter can i transfer or download to plc directly from pc to cpu of plc or need something other required ??

I am actually working on trying to get one of these going on my win7x32bit laptop. I had an incident where our rs232 to tty conversion cable I believe shorted, and fried PLC/232-tty chip/and the com port of the laptop I was using.

I talked to a local siemens certified programmer, and he said that his company does'nt have a siemens PG (wtf??) but they do have a laptop with a virtual xp machine, that they use a usb to 232 adapter with.

I will try and talk to him and get some better details and I'll share If I get anything good.

I have already tried with an actual xp laptop with the keyspan 19hs, and I got the same error 0334.

... and he said that his company does'nt have a siemens PG (wtf??)...
PG is short for Programmier Gerät, which is German for programming device. In the past the programming device wasn't necessarily a PC, as it is nowadays, so for Siemens this term covers it all. Siemens continued to call their programming devices PGs, even when they switched to using more or less standard PCs for programming, at least up to a few years ago. This was the case with PG710, PG730 for S5 and PG720, PG740 and PG760 for S7. A lot of dedicated Siemens programmers over here still call their PC they mainly use for programming PLCs a PG.

Kind regards,

Thanks for the description the "WTF" was actually in reference to them not having one, and his company being a Siemens dealer, and specializing in Siemens programming. They tend to many other larger companies than my own in the area. It was shocking to me that they wouldn't have one available.

I use a BrainBoxes VX-001 RS232 ExpressCard installed in Window 7(64 bit). I run the IBH Softec S5 software inside a VM (VMWare 9) running XpPro sp3, it connects with no problem to the S5. I only had to install the drivers in XP. RS Components have them in stock. The VX-001 also connects under XP with the SEW drivesusing the serial port.
Kind regards